Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grubece_gw

Help with porch columns

grubece
9 years ago

Good evening. Hoping someone can help me figure out a great stain color to finish our cypress columns on our front porch. Our door is mahogany with a clear poly stain. Thinking I would like to match the door, but not quite sure. Looking for opinions. Many thanks, in advance.

Comments (26)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Personally, white painted.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Another vote for white -- the same white (or off-white?) as your trim.

NO to matching to the door. Your front door color should not be repeated anywhere else in your façade. It should be unique and welcoming -- not just "one more item" of that shade.

• Bridget19
    9 years ago

I was thinking match the trim.

• illinigirl
    9 years ago

we have a stained front door/sidelites and we are matching our columns to the painted white trim. for the reasons everone already mentioned.

• runnergirl79
    9 years ago

another vote to match the white trim!

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

Yet another vote to match the trim, but- you could do a stain on the columns and see how you like it. It can always be painted over later on, but once they are painted, it's a lot of work to go back to natural wood.

• kas4
    9 years ago

Painted to match the off-white trim.

• jkliveng
    9 years ago

Mush's idea is great, I was going to say I like the wood grain but if it doesn't look good, painting over would not be an issue. I would not stain to match the door, however. Something light.

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

Another vote for match the trim. If they were INTERIOR columns, I might stain them, but not exterior. The convention for exterior columns is painted the trim color.

Pretty house, I like the stacked stone.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Match the trim.

• grubece
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. Although, no way would I ever paint cypress columns. No harshness meant at all to those who suggested it. :) Probably would've gone with a cheaper wood if we intended on painting them. Here is another picture of the door that shows the color better. Trust me, this door stands out...it is the first thing you see as you pull up. Just in case anyone agrees with me and can help me figure out a great stain... ;)...landscaping will change that window that is sticking out over there too! Thanks for your honest opinions!

This post was edited by grubece on Mon, May 26, 14 at 15:33

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

The door is gorgeous! But I'm not sure I'd use the same stain on the columns - I'd let the door be the star. Is the door also cypress? I don't know cypress grain and can't tell if the columns are the same. I'd like a stain in the same color family as the siding and much of the stone. On my monitor your siding looks to be a warm gray and much of the stone has gray tones with some brown. The vertical nature and the shadowing you'll get on the columns will still make them look special even if the stain is the same as the siding.

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

Rough mockup in case it helps. Top picture, color was taken from the trim above the columns. Bottom picture, color was taken from the close up picture of your door (the columns look much lighter since the door is in shadow. and/or could be a difference in the lighting used in the photos.)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

I still think stained columns will look out of place, sorry.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

You can use a white stain on the columns ;')

• grubece
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to you both. Our exterior paint color is Warm Stone by SW...the trim is Anew Gray also SW...both a grey/taupe. I pulled the colors from the stone...color matched from SW. Chicagoans, thanks for the mock-up. Very helpful to see. My opinion is...I just don't love the paint. Just way too traditional for me. The door is solid mahogany and the columns are cypress. I have some pics I've saved with the "look" I am going for with stained columns on a front porch. Very much my style. Dim2000, very helpful! Much appreciated everyone! Have a great evening!

This post was edited by grubece on Mon, May 26, 14 at 21:45

• grubece
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And another one...just a couple that I found that resemble the type of look I like...

• grubece
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry for the multiple pics...not sure if you can insert several in one post. This one is a little dark for me, but you get the idea! :)

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Looking at your inspiration pictures, the first one works because the golden to orange tones in the stained columns play well with the green of the siding.The stone on that house is really a secondary player color wise. In the second photo the reddish brown stain works well with the same tones that are in the brick and the stone but the white around the not yet finished front door is off - probably not meant to be white. The third picture is harder to tell but I agree the columns appear too dark and at least in that photo, they fight with the stain on the front door.

I think you're right that white is not the best choice for your house, especially since you want it to read as wood. Look at these Cabot stains just for ideas with your front door and siding/stone. Wood tone stains that lean yellow/gold/orange just don't work on your house. Same with stains that lean red. Lots of the browns fight with your door to me, which is why I see a stain that harmonizes with your siding. What happens to natural cypress as it ages - does it darken? Gray? If you let it age to a point you like then clear coat with a matte finish, does that appeal to you? Otherwise I'd take some cypress cut offs (hopefully you have some!) and start playing around mixing colors - a little Tannery and some Limestone mixed into Coastal Gray to start. Think basic color theory. Follow the link to see all the colors - my screen shot only shows some.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabot Stains

This post was edited by dlm2000 on Mon, May 26, 14 at 23:07

• grubece
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Super, Din2000! Thank you for the help. I will check out cabot. I really like the Coastal Gray! I agree with all of your points! I will keep you posted!

• John M
    4 years ago

Just curious..Chicagoans—-what program or app did you use to mock up the color/stain options? Realize this is an old post but I’m going through the same exercise/struggle on cypress columns currently . Thanks in advance!

• Ann Kowalczyk
    2 years ago

I too am trying to decide how to finish cypress columns with a mahogany door.

• smiggs77
    2 years ago

I would match the door! Forget what everyone else says! I love the wood grain and matching the front door would look great!

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    2 years ago

Match the white trim. Let the front door stand alone for contrast.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

This thread is 7 years old.