Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ideamom_gw

Is this electrical bid high?

ideamom
16 years ago

Got the electrical bid today for 3288 sq ft home and it was almost $20,000 with no fixtures. Is that high for the South? Trying to get a gage of what it should be. A building spreadsheet I did said it should be about $11,000. If you have about the same sq footage...what did you pay for electrical?

Comments (14)

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

Wow! That seems high. I'm not in the south, but I thought things were less expensive there. I'm in the northwest.
    Our electrical spec was 5782 - that included $1500 for a lighting allowance. We went over by about $1250 on the electrical and about 1200 for lighting. So our total was less than $9,000. Our house is just over 3200 sq ft.

Disclosure: hubby did all the low voltage wiring (phone, satellite TV, whole house audio, alarm, ethernet) so that saved us quite a bit. I think he spent in the neighborhood of about $500 for all the cabling.

• onlygirlsmom
    16 years ago

On average, our electrical bids came in at around $12k for our 3,325 sq ft house. I do not believe this included anything in our unfinished basement, except for maybe a few overhead lights. We live in MI. We are not doing any of the electrical and this does not include the fixture allowance.

• kellyeng
    16 years ago

I'm in Central TX.

3500sf - $12.5k w/ $3k fixture allowance

• worthy
    16 years ago

Toronto, Canada

3,100 sf + finished basement.

The basic Code with a few extras: $6,730

But OH, the extras: pots, $55 for non-insulated, $90 for insulated, $110 for exteriors; tel. jacks $35 per, TV jacks $45 per, internet, $45 per; Smart Home wiring $750 per 10 zone; siting main panel 40 ft. from disconnect and backup generator wiring--time and materials.

I figure close to C$20K by the time it's finished.

• jaymielo
    16 years ago

Our first electrical bid was $15,000 for a 3200 sq ft home + 1139 finished square foot in the basement. In addition, there a was an allowance of $3500 for fixtures. Low voltage electrical (stereo, cable, phone and security) was a separate $9000 allowance. We aren't planning on finishing all the square footage initially, so I'm not sure how this will reduce our cost. We are in the Midwest. Still waiting on other bids to see how this compares.

• sniffdog
    16 years ago

ideamom,

I am in the process of going through this myself. Learned the hardway that sq footage is not the way electricians bid their jobs (at least in my area). My guy charges $25 per outlet, $50 per switch, $100 per recessed can, $400 per sub-panel, $80 per chandelier or fan. These prices include material, labor, and finishing.

If you have an electircal plan for the house, make a list of outlets, switches, lights, recessed lights etc. Then use the figures I gave you to get a rough estimate.

I wound up doing a lot of the wiring myself because the cost was very high to add the things I wanted. I found that the recessed lights were a major part of the cost - there is no economies inlcuded if you have 5 recessed lights all close - it is still $100 per can. I have 87 recessed lights in my house - ouch! So I did them myself.

When I got done with my job, I realized that the prices my electrician had were reasonable - given the amount of time it took me to do it.

Hope this helps.

• dannie_gal
    16 years ago

Sniffdog is exactly right. All the electricians that bid on my house charged per number of openings (and each type of opening usually has a different price). For example, my 3100sqft house originally had 292 openings. I can't remember exactly what my sparky said the average number was for a house my size (maybe 180-200?). I have a bunch of 3-ways. I didn't go crazy with the can lights, but did with the switched outlets and telephone and cable drops. It's amazing how things add up so quickly.

• sue36
    16 years ago

We were supposed to pay about $14k for a 3800 sf house. We received several bids in this ballpark. I say "supposed to" because we had to fire the electrician and it cost a lot more to complete the job because so much had to be ripped out. That was 2 years ago, and the price of wire has gone way up, so imagine it would be more today. That price included outlets, switches, etc. But the regular type, not Decora. It also included 4 cans (we supplied the 11 in the kitchen). It didn't include the other fixtures.

• fishpants
    16 years ago

Ours is around $29k. High? Yes, but not considering what we've done with it--Around 80 cans (20 sloped), 400amp service, generator hook up, RV, hot tub, and welding outlets, multiple sconces in addition to regular overhead lights, 3 furnaces, 2 a/c units, HRV, 2 h20 heaters, steam generator for shower, multiple 3 and 4-ways, and a partridge in a pear tree! 6000sf heated house. No fixtures.
    Your bid may not be that high depending on what you are putting into your place. If you've gone pretty basic, then yeah, I would worry about the bid.

• sue36
    16 years ago

Clarification - that price included from the wall in only. It didn't include the underground line from the tranformer to the house. We did that ourselves because they wanted around $9k for it.

• kygirl99
    16 years ago

our electrician charged our builder $3 per sq. ft. for general wiring of the house. not including any fixtures.

• missstaceyh
    16 years ago

Ideamom- I am trying to get in touch with you. We are building the same house in Kentucky and I just came across yours on this site. I'd love to chat about what you changed and find out where you are in the building process. We will build within the next year pending the sell of our home. Can't wait to hear from you!

• millworkman
    7 years ago

10 year old post Lenny,