Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateshome_gw

Cedar Siding?

kateshome
10 years ago

As I previously posted the quote we received for Hardi board siding and Azek trim was $100,000! That is the installed and painted on site price. We are now researching alternative materials. Vinyl is not an option for us. Has anyone used cedar siding and trim. The price seems pretty good from cedarshinglesdirect.com.

Comments (8)

• rrah
    10 years ago

We had cedar siding on our last house. The downsides: It needs to be repainted or restained about every 5-6 years or so. The woodpeckers liked it and would sometimes peck holes in it. For some reason wasps seemed to be attracted to it also. We had cedar trim in our first house. It was a tract home. There was some tannin bleed through on some of the nearby houses. I don't recall how the builder fixed it.

• User
    10 years ago

Maintenance intensive and not as durable as the old growth cedar was. No way would I put it on anything of mine. For 100K, I'd do brick instead.

• Missy Benton
    10 years ago

Our last house, built in the 80's, was cedar. Like hollysprings said, it was a maintenance nightmare! I would never recommend it to anyone.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Wow sounds like somebody doesn't want to use those materials. We did all Hardi on our house including trim, soffits etc. and it was less than 10K installed for a 2200 sq ft house with garage. Granted we do have some stone( 30%), but unless your house is huge I can't see how it could possibly be that much.

We are in a lower cost area of the country though (TX) and that price didn't include painting it, which I don't remember what the outside cost was exactly, but was in the 4 digits range.

I had cedar on our old house and had the same experience as others including wood peckers.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Are you talking about cedar clapboards or cedar shingles?

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

" The downsides: It needs to be repainted or restained about every 5-6 years or so. The woodpeckers liked it and would sometimes peck holes in it. For some reason wasps seemed to be attracted to it also."

Yes, yes and yes.
    This was our experience also... could not wait to replace it.

• kateshome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Renovator8- I was thinking of the clapboards. I just came across Buffalo Lumber . They have a product that is finger jointed cedar to use for clapboards. They prime it and put on one coat of paint with a final coat to be done after installation. It then is warranted for 25 years against delamination and rot. What do you think?

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Read the fine print, wood with a 25 yr warranty will more than likely require a laundry list of requirements at exact times to be covered