Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kath00

Handicapped access planning.

Steph Morris
10 years ago

Hello,

We are almost done with our final plans for our new home build but I wanted to run something by everyone real quick. I have planned a master suite downstairs on this build so that when we are older or if one of us needs to be in a wheelchair or motorized scooter, we would have accessible areas downstairs.

While I realize that in hospitals and medical centers, there are strict codes for accessibility with wide doors and hallways, etc, what are some practical door opening sizes or kitchen/island distances that I should be aiming for in my home? We are both in our 50s now and active and healthy but I am trying to plan ahead.

Our current plan has mostly 4 foot hallways and doors that are 3 feet wide. I have done some googling and this seems adequate for wheelchairs but I am wondering if there are any practical considerations that would need us to make the doors wider at this point. I would hate to have to remodel the home if something happens...

Kat

Comments (6)

• mrspete
    10 years ago

We're just a little younger than you but are thinking along the same lines. Some of our thoughts:

- You're thinking wheelchair or scooter . . . But if my personal experience is typical, a walker is more likely, and I don't think many people use a scooter in their own homes. You might want to think about where a scooter could recharge in the garage.
    - Hallways and kitchen aisles are areas of concern, but be sure you can get into the bathroom and closets.
    - Minimize steps at at least one exterior door, and don't plan any step-up or step-down living rooms, etc.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Look up "universal design".

One you may not have is a 5 foot clear area (circle diameter) (in the bathroom).

• User
    10 years ago

HC accessibility laws must accommodate all of the disabilities and special equipment likely to be used by the public therefore the laws are complex and extensive and don't apply to homes.

HC accessibility in a new home is far easier to achieve and does not usually involve 5 ft turn circles or wide hallways and doorways. The use of a motorized scooter in place of a wheelchair eliminates most accessibility requirements except counter heights, under-counter clearances and entrance ramps.

Motorized wheelchairs/scooters cost far less than extensive accessibility features and the expense can be postponed until it is needed which might never happen or might happen in your next house.

You should provide HC access to the front door now for guests and relatives who might need it.

• Steph Morris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. Great suggestions. We have the 5' turnaround in the kitchen, thankfully, but not in the powder room downstairs, as it is a small space. I suppose we could just assume that if someone needs to go to the bathroom, they could just use the master toilet, which is definitely big enough.

Great suggestion about the entry area. We need to eliminate a step that is already planned there. Definitely don't have any sunken rooms in this house, thankfully.

Good points about the scooters, Renovator8. I see a lot of people have them (just recently on our cruise to the Caribbean). They seem much slimmer in profile.

• User
    10 years ago

A powered wheelchair usually has a width of 24" and have different turning radiuses depending on the location of the drive wheels. Scooters may be different. Of particular concern are doors at the ends of corridors. Always allow a foot of corridor beyond the last door jamb.

• Steph Morris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Just realized one door opens out from the end of the corridor. Will have to redraw that one. I can see how that would totally not work unless someone was there to open the door for you.