Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help please! Front door step to porch too high?

Posted by wvmama (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 12 at 18:55

We had our concrete porch poured yesterday (4" thick) and the front entry door threshold to porch measures 10". This seems awkward and too high to me. My question is what is an "acceptable" height? And what are our options to fix this? I do NOT want a step integrated into the porch floor. We haven't contacted our builder yet as I wanted to get other's opinions. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help please! Front door step to porch too high?

Our architect specified a 5" step. I can't comment on what is typical or acceptable, but that is what she was comfortable with.

I hope this is helpful.

o

That is too tall. Technically it is not code compliant. I think 8-1/4" is maximum code compliant height and 7-1/4 is pretty average and the height most people are comfortable with.

o

Are you putting stone or brick on top of the concrete on the porch? If so that could account for the extra height that is there now and when the stone or brick is down it will be shorter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here