Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saftgeek_gw

Cleared Out the Mighty Oaks - Make Into Flooring?

saftgeek
10 years ago

My family worked a very tedious weekend to cut, pile, and clear some very large red oaks for our building spot. I cut the trunks into sawlogs and was planning to sell them, however; after talking it over we are now considering having it made into hardwood flooring. As the picture shows the logs are substantial.

I contacted a custom sawmill and they will rough saw them for $.50 a board foot. We have a great hardwood mill that will kiln dry them for $.20 a ft and cut/mill them into flooring for $1.20 ft. The whole process would take 4 months. They will cut into 3", 4", or 5" or a combination of all. I would have about $2 a foot in my unfinished flooring, plus my time/gas to deliver. I am very seriously considering this as I think it adds to the story of our build.

Anyone else harvest trees into hardwood flooring? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Saftgeek-

This post was edited by saftgeek on Tue, May 28, 13 at 22:05

Comments (14)

• rrah
    10 years ago

I think it's a wonderful idea. We've had several large walnuts and hickories come down and have considered doing something similar. We just never had the time when they came down.

• athensmomof3
    10 years ago

Buckhead Hillbilly did this exact same thing. Not sure how often she comes on here but she built a beautiful farmhouse and the pictures of her house should be on here if you search under her name. . .

• User
    10 years ago

It's a good idea for sentiment's sake, but for someone on a budget, it's higher priced and more risky than buying regular unfinished red oak from a reputable flooring contractor. You won't get as much usable material out of that as you think, plus you will need a crane and BIG truck or trailer to haul those logs. You're not going to just throw them over your shoulder and into a pickup bed.

We had considered doing the same with a big sycamore that we took down, but in the end, it was way more trouble than it was worth for not very much usable material.

• dadereni
    10 years ago

How about having someone make furniture for you from it, or a custom door? Something requiring less material and less critical to your schedule. You'd still have the story, the connection to your site.

• saftgeek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Holly
    The nice thing about my job is that I actually do have access to a crane and big truck. I would have to pay for fuel, but aside from that, it's just my time. The hardwood mill has an excellent reputation. I can't actually take credit for coming up with an original idea. A buddy of mine at work had a huge maple come down in a storm and he wanted to do something with it other than burn it. He had it made into flooring and laid/finished it himself. I don't plan to lay or finish, just drive it from sawyer to kiln to house...

The mill sells their red oad flooring for 3.25 per sq ft. I thought their price was decent for quality stuff. Again, this is kiln dried and finished out... planed, sanded, milled and ends squared. I've got $8 budgeted for hardwoods and that price leaves me a little wiggle room if I have to buy some to make up for any shortfalls. I'm still debating and haven't committed to doing this whole hog yet. I really wanted to hear from anyone who had first hand experience to share.

Sorry about the upside down picture. I swear it was right side up in the preview. Darn gremlins are at work on here again...

Saftgeek-

• robin0919
    10 years ago

Since you have machinery that most folks don't......GO for it! It would be something to talk about for many years.

• flgargoyle
    10 years ago

I'm going to try to use some of our red oak as well. In addition to clearing, something is killing red oaks in this area, so a number of them had to come down. A friend brought his portable mill here, so I'll be cutting them myself. Time will tell if I can get enough usable wood, or if it is worth the trouble. I already have a Plan B in place, so I may end up just using a small amount of the lumber, rather than flooring the whole house.

• jennybc
    10 years ago

If it were me... I would sell or build into something else. I recently purchased 4" (had the choice of 5") red oak, unfinished flooring, direct from a mill for $2.00 and free shipping. It is not select, but it is everything else in lengths 4'-11'.

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

To avoid fungus stains, get the sawing and drying done immediately. It is not so urgent in cold weather-- but the hot weather is here.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I think it's a great idea.

My cousin had her kitchen redone by a friend of theirs who cut the ash and the hickory trees off his property and sawed them into the wood to create the cabinetry. It was fabulous....

• User
    10 years ago

I can get unfinished #1 red oak for 1.89 builder price, delivered locally and I just need a trailer to pick it up. If I need more than 3K square feet, the price goes down even more. Not #2 or #3. I know that pricing is regional, and I live in a low priced area, but you aren't that far from me and ought to be able to find it for not too much more from a wholesaler.

• john_wc
    10 years ago

Since you have access to a crane and truck, I would go for it. It gives you a great story about your home.

• saftgeek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Found a different custom sawyer today closer to home and half the price. He can start immediately and charges .25 per bd ft. That really knocks it down there. I also found a retired gentleman with a bobcat and large truck who will haul for his time/fuel... $100 or so. He will load on Sunday evening and deliver Monday morning. I can take it from there.

Looks like we are actually going to do it. My wife suggested I cut up a really large white oak to mix in but I think that may look odd. I don't mind varying sizes but not really keen about species. Thoughts on her idea???

BTW we stake the house in a day or so and start digging next week. Super excited!!

Saftgeek-