Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rajersey

Cost of laying bricks externally

rajersey
16 years ago

Can someone give me approx. costs to lay bricks (per sq. ft or per brick)? We're building a home in North Jersey and wondering if someone around my area can give me realistic installation costs. Thanks in advance

Comments (15)

• arkansasgal
    16 years ago

Hello rajersey. Our brick layers just finished our house. They charged us $350 per 1000 bricks layed. That included the double roll outs around the windows, 1 column in the back of the house, keystons over all windows, soliders around the top perimeter of the house, quoins, 5 steps and 14ft arched opening. But we are in Arkansas, so that may be a little low for your area. He will come back and do the mailbox for $150.

• mamabirrd
    16 years ago

Hi!
    We own a masonry co. just outside of Pittsburgh, PA. We are charging on average $525 per thousand right now. Oversized brick are $600 per thousand.

Those prices are probably on the low end for our area. Especially for the high quality of work. We generally do large, custom homes in the $300,000-$500,000 + range.

arkansasgal got a good deal. We charge for all extra's.

• woodinvirginia
    16 years ago

Mason #1 Quoted me $700 per thousand and he include 2 6 ft arches and all bullnose seals and weatertable brick in the $700. Quoins or Soldier Course addtional. You supply wall ties/Z ties

Mason #2 wants 850-900 per thousand,plus charges 400 for 6 ft arch, $200 for 3ft arch on circletop windows, plus 6.50 per lineal foot for every bullnose sill brick laid.Suppliess all Z ties/Wall ties.

Mason#3 Wants 700 per thousand, Full Quoins $1200, half Quoins 600. Arches 200(no size limit)Will supply own Z ties and wall ties.

Mason prices above are Luxury Mason's used to building Custom Homes.
    In this area most homes brick labor is 500-600 per thousand. If you want special work, these guys have 'special prices'; I find its best to check there last 5 jobs to see how their customers fared and to also see their portfolio (if they have one..Most do!)

• worthy
    16 years ago

I'm green with envy! The going price on infill here is $1,500 per thousand for modular (2 1/4"x7 5/8"). (And I remember laughing at masons in the early '90s who said "a buck a brick.") I'm sure subdivision builders get a break.

mamabird Want to fly north ?

• breezy_2
    16 years ago

I think my builder told me he figures $1 per brick all costs in (labor and materials) on average.

• worthy
    16 years ago

Woops! I should have mentioned I'm in Toronto.

• springbabes
    16 years ago

our mason is charging about $1 per brick, our house is 1-1/2 stories with walk-out basement and it's brick throughout. Our GC way underestimated the cost of the brick labor. I guess we better enjoy our maintenance free exterior! We have about 1/3 of the brick up.

• dennisramsey1961
    8 years ago

$500 to $700 a thousand in south carolina this is not counting extra's, soldiers rowlocks, arch's, ect.... so $350 A THOUSAND THEY MUST HAVE BEEN SOME SLOPPY MASON'S, WE CHARGED THAT IN THE LATE 70'S....

• 2aT
    7 years ago

$350.O0 per 1000 must be labor only, which makes sense rather than sloppy mason?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    7 years ago

Why did the chicken cross the road?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    7 years ago

To see a man lay a brick.

I just had to ask it. I love these old discussions.

• AJ George
    6 years ago

Can someone give me approx. costs to lay bricks ( per 1000bricks )? We're building a home in Pennsylvania and wondering if someone around my area can give me realistic installation costs. Thanks in advance

• Thomas Lenox
    3 years ago

I brick in Mid Missouri. I charge 1.25 a brick main level. Prices change for 2nd level and up due to scaffolding having to be built and so on. Columns mailboxes arches window sills cast stone flashing and so on are all extra.

• worthy
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Per brick prices are only relevant when the following items are specified:

-- the exact size of brick, coursing and joint finishing;

--clay or concrete bricks (Concrete takes days longer to set, limiting the height in any given day.);

--who is paying for the brick, mortar, sand, ties/fasteners and colouring.

(I always supply everything, so there's no skimping on materials or quality. For instance, in our area, masons will typically use only the cheapest galvanized bendable ties. By contrast, our new planned build is speced with adjustable thermal ties to decrease thermal transfer in walls with external insulation.);

--site access. Can the mason drive their brick loader around the build? Or will al materials have to be "hand bombed"?

--number of corners, quoins, apertures, masonry chimneys, brick and stone features etc. on the particular build. (Once you've got scaffolding more than two levels high, expect to pay a premium in many areas.);

Propane burners and enclosed scaffolds come with risks in winter builds. 60 Larkfield Rd., Toronto, 2010.

--climate. A winter build requiring propane heating and enclosed scaffolding can increase the overall price 20%.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH