Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizzieplace

Design my driveway please! Pouring tomorrow...

lizzieplace
9 years ago

Need help designing the driveway. They will be pouring concrete tomorrow. Garage has 3 separate stalls, on a 45 degree angle, and there is a bumpout in the middle stall. Not really a fan of the curved driveway. But what would be easiest to maneuver vehicles in and out off? Need your opinions please! Thank you.

Comments (15)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I don't think that curve is curvy enough for easy access into and out of the garage. Also, think about if you will need a turnout or is it safe to back up into the road?

• chispa
    9 years ago

The left garage bay will be a pain to back out of.

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

You definitely need more driveway on the left. It should come straight out, relative to the garage, and then curve. The left side of the driveway should probably line up with the left side of the house, unless there is some reason it's being kept to the right.

• lizzieplace
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is what we are thinking of having done. What do you all think?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I prefer the curve if it is the right shape. Straight driveways are very common in spec construction...curves say custom. The way it is drawn, you will still be backing out of the garage off the drive and onto the lawn.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Also, I don't think you can pour this today...
    Concrete driveways take some prep if done properly. If you haven't figured out your layout, how is proper prep going to get done? (eee!)

• lizzieplace
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for that insight, AnnieDeighnaugh. That is really helpful. We drove around the block and found something like this. What do you think? The approach will not be very curvy like I drew it, but more straight with a flare going out into the street. Thoughts?

• lizzieplace
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, kirkhall, we were told last night to be at the site early this morning because they are pouring this morning (supposedly). We were surprised and panicked too, because of the very short notice. We haven't really thought about the design, and was not expecting the driveway to be one of the firsts to go in, because some builders here do that last. Anyway, we were told they want to pour the "approach" today, so we still need to figure out the design today I think.

I tried to edit the title of the thread , but I don't think it is allowed. Thank you all for your help!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

My apologies for being so rough, but as a practical plan for making the driveway useful, something like this. The mass of pavement in front of the house can be softened with plantings.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Are there any codes for driveway design in your area? Our town has very specific minimum distances to allow for proper and safe access to garages.

It might be too late and not in the budget, but if you are going to have a very large driveway in front of your house then it should be given a budget equal to it prominence in the design. We have a large circular drive with access to front load 2-car garage and access to a rear 3-car garage. Previous owners had just used asphalt. We ripped out all the asphalt and replaced with pavers. It made such a difference to the house, as the driveway is now part of the total house design. It was expensive, but it turned the house from an average house to a custom house.

The front facing garage doors should also be treated with some thought and larger budget. We replaced very basic brown painted garage doors with custom wood garage doors. We had strangers stop to tell us they couldn't believe the difference those doors made to the overall look of the house.

• lizzieplace
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, chispa, thank you for the comments. We are doing carriage house doors for the garage, but steel ones. Winters here are very harsh. We would have loved pavers but the cost here is too much.

AnnieDeighnaugh, we narrowed the approach from 35 ft to around 25ft (2- car width) so the look will not be mostly concrete in front. We like the idea of a wider pad though so the small kids can bike away from the street. Thank you for your ideas!

• peytonroad
    9 years ago

I would actually curve the driveway on the right hand side versus the left. The left car would have to always back out on a curve but it can be done. I have to enter mine on a curve and it works perfectly. I think also that I would not have it so wide away from the garage as well, why have so much coming into the court yard of the house. To me, that last entry above is too much black in front of the house. I would bring the curve out on right to where the plan says N82 or so. Why turn to the front door when you can just as easily turn to side of garage.

• musicgal
    9 years ago

OP- Can you post a picture of your poured driveway. Would love to see what you decided to do. Thanks.

• lizzieplace
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Musicgal, here is what we ended up with! We will always come from one side of the street because the other end is a cul de sac. We will have garage doors similar to that one in the picture. Thank you for all the input!

• musicgal
    9 years ago

That turned out nicely. Thanks for reposting. I bet you're glad to have that finished!