Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akshars_mom

Feedback on front elevation

akshars_mom
10 years ago

We have the front elevations from the designer. He provided three options and I like option 3B the best of the three. Please let me know what you like better and also what you would change.
. From the looks I prefer the 3B with some changes. I would like to see if we can add a sidelight to the door if possible. Also do not like the batten on the garage wall.

I am pretty new to this and so not sure from a style perspective if one is better than the other or if all of them are bad :) so any feedback will be helpful.

Comments (5)

• ash6181
    10 years ago

Is there any way you could make them a bit bigger? ItâÂÂs hard to see the details. Here are my thoughts from what I can tell.

IâÂÂm assuming the garage has to face the front? As-is, I think the garage overwhelms the main part of the house a bit. Depending on how far it is set back from the main part of the house, that may not be as much of an issue, but you may want to try and minimize its prominence with material selection.

The roofline seems strange, as can be seen more clearly in option 3A. It seems like the left side of the roof over the main part of the house is more steeply pitched than the roof on the right side, and the peak of the roof is not centered over the house. Also, the bottom of the roofline to the right of the door seems to be lower than the roof line to the left. To me, it throws everything off. Maybe IâÂÂm not seeing it correctly, though. If I am seeing it right, are there reasons the roofline has to be that way?

Assuming the roofline needs to stay the same, I like Option 3B because the front facing gable minimizes the roofline issues in my opinion. I wonder, though, if you would be better off with one large gable instead of stacked gables? It might be possible to extend a porch across that area to bulk up the main part of the house and direct more attention to that area and away from the garage.

IâÂÂm interested to hear whatâÂÂs going on with the roofline situation. Where are you building (city, country, small lot, acreage, etc?)

Good luck! All of these decisions are so tough.

• akshars_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ash6181, I should have mentioned more details. ThIs is actually an addition and gut remodel of an existing house. We are in northern California and this a city lot which is only 61 feed wide and 105 feet deep. So this limits what we can do. Front facing garage a must here. No way around it. We may paint the garage door same color as external so it is not as prominent.
    I like the craftsman style so may be the designer changed the elevation he originally sent. I will ask about the one gable instead of two.
    Not sure why it is attaching such small images. I will try to post larger on.

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

Can you post the floor plan? It would be easier to understand the elevation if you did.

I *think* it would be better if you had a gable instead of the hipped roof in back, but it's hard for me to be sure if that would work without seeing a floor plan. If you did switch the hip to a gable, I'd make it perpendicular to the porch gable. I think it would be more attractive and a simpler roof to maintain going forward.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I would need to see pictures and a plan but something about this drawing makes the elevation look lopsided and as if the windows are on different levels. There is an effect of sloping down from the left to right on the main elevation of the house.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

#1 is more authentic bungaloid, because the roofline is lower. The extra foot of wall height on #2 is in discord with bungalow tradition.
    Casey