Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
8" versus 7" wood flooring....big deal or get over it?

Posted by mayberry (My Page) on
Thu, May 9, 13 at 18:26

The first thing we picked out for our build, many months ago, was 8" oak flooring. Love the wide plank look, and perfect for the large scale of the house. They bid it and we accepted the bid and I've fantasized about my floors for this whole time. But they just told us, now that it's time to order, that the 8" isn't available anymore as production decreased in response to the recession. They can get 7".

My husband is a landscape contractor so I know this does happen in terms of supply drying up. I like this outfit as it is family owned. Is this a "just get over it!" situation, or a "just do more research and see if you can get is from someone else" situation? I'm incredibly tight on time with job and family responsibilities, so there's a cost to that research time...

What would you do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 8" versus 7" wood flooring....big deal or get over it?

Although you may be a bit disappointed, I think you'll hardly notice the difference in the width when you consider the overall size of the areas where it will be installed. You may actually like a few more planks per room plus you are getting the floor you dreamed about and doing business with a company that you trust - that means a lot. I would not stress over it. Life is too short.

o

You will have less problems with the 7" vs. an 8". Remember that the larger the width, the more it actually expands and contracts in response to environmental humidity.

o

Although I wanted wider planks, my builder says the same thing as live wire oak. He says the wider planks are much more problematic. In the rental I'm in currently, the floors are a lovely 8" brazillian cherry. ALthough the color is beautiful, there are gaps in the winter between the boards. Some of the boards are also warping. So, we are taking our builder's advice and going with a more narrow plank.

o

Thank you so much for helping me over the hump. Onward and upward...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here