Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmhousegirl_gw

money, money, and more money!!!

farmhousegirl
9 years ago

We are finally moving along on our plans to build in the country. We have been going through a major ordeal buying and subdividing some raw land, getting septic permits, site work, and now storm water management engineering. This has been a two year ordeal dealing with red tape and we would have walked away if a nice resale had come on in this school district (but nothing did).

So here we are, hearing about more and more money we will need to spend. We are now hearing it could cost up to 30-40k to satisfy storm water management in this township. While we knew we'd need to do some storm water management, we never imagined so much. It's frustrating to spend so much on plans, site work, and on and on before you can even start...and find out their are more things to spend money on that you will never see...well, septic, storm drainage, etc. We thought we'd done our homework before jumping into this; never imagined so much money just to drain some land. These regulations are so out of hand where we live.

Can hardly wait to see our taxes! If we didn't have kids in this township, I would move somewhere else.

Comments (10)

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Just think, when the present administration is gone and the housing market returns, how many deductions you'll have.

• farmhousegirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

100% agree snoonyb! Don't get me started on that! No hate mail please to me or snoonyb.

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

Hate mail for petty misguided political (at best) posts about a housing downturn that started in 2006-2007 under a different President? No way!

This post was edited by saltidawg on Sat, May 24, 14 at 19:59

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Actually, it started about 4 or 5yrs. before that.

It wasn't political, it was and is a fact.

Markets rise and markets fall.

In a normal economic sequence the money moves slowly from coast to coast. After awhile, you learn to recognize the sequence and the rapidity of the transition.

As it is, it's pretty much stagnating around the middle and shale oil production.

• nostalgicfarm
    9 years ago

I don't think that snoony post was blaming the housing market on Pres. O. I think rather stating that when the two conditions are met, things will be different. 1) Change in political party. 2) Return of housing market
    I'm sure we can all agree that satisfying number 2 will change things ;)

Farmhousegirl- Sorry you are dealing with red tape. Our land has a lot of erosion issues from nearby properties. We even have about 4 acres under a spillway easement from the neighboring pond....can't put any trees in it ;( And it has a LOT of road frontage we would love to block views from (over 400 feet!)

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Will you still be in a flood zone? That's expensive too. Have you considered looking for another piece of land...or have you spent too much on this one?

Politics...and banks and other businesses are made up of individuals. Individuals are often greedy. (See the Gordon Gekko...greed is good speech.)

So, when individuals are allowed to loan to people, normally considered to be too much of a risk...the market will eventually fail.

Here is a link that might be useful: YouTube clip

• Ronda Carr
    4 years ago

the times are going, but the problems still the same...

• worthy
    4 years ago

We have been going through a major ordeal buying and subdividing some raw land, getting septic permits, site work, and now storm water management engineering.

This is a surprise?? And one that will be remedied by a nuevo presidente??

• The_Lane_Duo
    4 years ago

@Ronda Carr This post is over 5 years old.