Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kacee2002_gw

Is this weird?

kacee2002
9 years ago

Got the latest set of plans from our architect. We are building a two bedroom house. What we want is our master suite at one end of the house and a guest suite at the other. In these latest plans she has combined the guest suite bath with the powder room. There is a short hallway to the bedroom area with a door to the bedroom at the end of the hall. At the other end of the hall where it joins the rest of the house there will be a pocket door. On the right side of the hall is the door to the bathroom. It is in two parts with a pocket door between. First part the toilet and a sink.... second part tub/shower with another sink. Idea being that someone could be in the tub/sink area showering, doing makeup and hair and someone else could be in the toilet area. No direct door from the bedroom to the bath, you would have to go out in the private hallway. Hard to explain but I hope you can picture it. It isn't sitting right with me. I think we need an entirely different powder room and direct access from the bedroom.

The whole thing is that we don't have a lot of overnight guests, usually DS and his wife maybe once or twice a year staying over.

This post was edited by kacee2002 on Tue, May 27, 14 at 20:30

Comments (19)

• carsonheim
    9 years ago

can you post the plan? I'm having a hard time following from the description

• rrah
    9 years ago

I think it sounds like an economical solution for a room that will be used once or twice a year. It would not bother me at all.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

From the description it sounds like a good solution to me, too.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Why is there another sink in the tub room? Actually have seen something similar in a friend's house, where there were two half-baths with doors to the hallway, and they both connected to a tub room. 5 kids using this, 1 kid/guests and the parents using a similar set-up downstairs. I thought it was smart.

• kacee2002
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll try and post a link

Here is a link that might be useful:

• amyktexas
    9 years ago

Yes it is strange. I can see going in to shower and coming out to encounter someone on the toilet... There has to be a better way.

• kacee2002
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bpathome
    The idea for the sink in with the tub was so someone could be in there doing hair/make up things you would need a sink for.

yes, I am rethinking this....it is just awkward. Maybe just one room, one sink, tub/shower, toilet and 2 doors. One to hallway and one to bedroom...both with locks?
    Or a whole different powder room somewhere? And the bath part of the suite alone?

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Could you add a door to the tub area from the guest room? Then you have bathroom access from the guest room, as well as the hall.

• cardinal94
    9 years ago

The hallway off the hallway seems like wasted space to me. Not sure what the answer is, but the stacked bath sections seem unnecessary.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

What's the point ⦠to avoid the cost of another toilet? I wouldn't do it.

• lolauren
    9 years ago

The hallway off the hallway makes the space private enough that I don't think you need direct access between bedroom and bathroom. I would change that bathroom, though: eliminate the sink on the tub side and replace with the toilet. Then the toilet/tub area are private and would leave the sink open for a second guest to use. In the front sink area, put a small linen closet where the toilet was.

As it it drawn now, I would never want to take a shower and then stay in that tiny space to do makeup/blow dry. It would be too hot for me. I would be more likely to use the adjacent space because the hallway door could be open to air it out...

• musicgal
    9 years ago

That room is pretty small. I'd take out the partition walls and have it be a bathroom with a nice big shower, large sink, linen and toilet. Yes to a door from the bedroom. Sink opposite-shower to the left- toilet to the right- linen across from toilet.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Unless the person was totally deaf and not very bright, I think they would not sit on the toilet if someone was in the shower and they didn't know who it was. That said, this is not exactly what I was expecting and it does seem a bit awkward.

What I have seen that's interesting is a powder room with a bathtub/shower hidden completely behind doors for its occasional use as a guest room. It was not a separate room and there was no second sink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Concealed bathtub

• robin0919
    9 years ago

Yep, what you said kc. You don't need a powder room with this size house. Many smaller houses don't have powder rooms.

• ineffablespace
    9 years ago

I dunno, I think it's nice to have an actual powder room for guests, especially when the bathtub part of it will only be used a few times a year.

I think it makes sense not to have another toilet that would only get occasional use by having a separate full bath for the guest room, too.

I think this is an interesting compromise, but I don't think it needs a separate sink with the bathtub and I would probably try to come up with other layout options, too, like the separate shower behind a door as shown in the link.

• Jules
    9 years ago

We have a bathroom on our main floor that's used as both the powder room and the guest room bathroom. It turned out great, and I don't think it's odd to combine functions and save on square footage. As soon-to-be empty nesters, we were attempting to downsize and had to cut square footage somewhere ... a concept that's easy to aspire to but much harder to actually do.

With our layout, you walk though an office nook to reach the bathroom and guest bedroom. The office nook is located between the mudroom and kitchen. It's nice because this gives the bathroom and guest bedroom some added privacy. Like your set up, our guest bedroom is located one end of our main floor while our master bedroom is located on the other. We do have other bedrooms and bathrooms in our walk-out lower level and second floor.

Changes we made from what's shown below: 1) shower is the full width of bathroom 2) closet omitted from guest bedroom and wardrobe armoire added instead. I'm very pleased with the flexibility the wardrobe offers in the guest room plus it looks much prettier than a closet.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I don't think a guest bedroom needs to have a door to the bath - especially when the bathroom door is so close to the bedroom door, and presumably there wouldn't be a huge amount of traffic to the laundry room while they are using the bathroom.

I also don't think there's anything weird about having a tub/shower in a bathroom that is used by guests who aren't staying overnight, or by family members who don't want to go to the master bath if they have to pee.

The hallway off a hallway offers privacy for both the bedroom and the bathroom, and seems logical. How else would one enter the bedroom?

You didn't ask, but the entry closet doesn't make sense. You can't hang things in the corners of a walk-in closet if there are things hanging on the adjacent walls (you can, but you can't see or reach them). Trying to make that into a walk in wastes space. Make that a reach-in closet, and use the space in the entry - maybe make the sidelights bigger.

• runnergirl79
    9 years ago

Yes, it's very strange, and I would definitely change it. I completely agree with musicgal's suggestion:

"That room is pretty small. I'd take out the partition walls and have it be a bathroom with a nice big shower, large sink, linen and toilet. Yes to a door from the bedroom. Sink opposite-shower to the left- toilet to the right- linen across from toilet."

Our first floor bathroom will serve as both the guest bath and powder room.

• WaterlooStructures12
    9 years ago

Seems like a fairly good plan to me.