Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theperfecta

Master BR Adjacent to Family Room

ThePerfectA
9 years ago

Most of the plans I like have the master bedroom placed adjacent to the family room, usually on the wall next to where the tv would go. For those of you who have this type of set up - I'm wondering if the noise from the family room is bothersome if you are trying to sleep in the master bedroom.

Comments (8)

• nanj
    9 years ago

We have that arrangement and, yes, it is noisy. I go to bed earlier than my husband some nights and he is kind enough to watch TV with wireless headphones so that it is quiet enough for me to sleep.

• uponthehilltop
    9 years ago

Hi!
    We did this and in anticipation of this issue we added sound "proof" insulation between the tv wall of family room and master bedroom wall.
    We have been in our house about 1 week and it works amazingly well!
    So well that sometimes when I'm in the master bedroom and call for the hubs or a child, they cannot hear me!

• Aims
    9 years ago

Our tv wall won't be on the wall that shared our master bedroom, but our master bath and closet. We are planning on extra insulation too because my husband is a police officer and some years he is working the midnight shift so that extra insulation will be important for us.

• musicgal
    9 years ago

We had an adjacent master in one of our houses; that is, the door opened up into the family room while the TV wall backed onto the master bath. It wasn't too bad, but there were times it was disturbing. There is a type of sheetrock material that is sound damping- I've seen it used on Holmes on Homes to soundproof a condo along with interior insulation. It made a huge difference in decibel level on the show.

• phd12
    9 years ago

Our new house will have the master bedroom sharing a wall with the tv portion of the family room. I'm planning on handling it with the following:
    1) Roxul Safe and Sound mineral wool in the wall cavities
    2) Air sealing around the junction boxes for outlets and data/cable lines with a putty pad
    3) Quietrock sheetrock on both wall faces

You can find youtube vids detailing all 3. Another side benefit is all 3 offer fire resistance benefits as well.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Design the problem away would always be the first choice rather than the reactive choice to "fix" a problem that the design is creating. Way too many houses deal with design issues in a reactive manner when the cure is always better design.

• gold566
    9 years ago

Our current house has the TV wall next to the master bedroom wall. I hear everything that goes on in that house! In the new house we have planned specifically for the TV to be at the other end of the living room. The wall next to the master bedroom wall is the dining room wall that rarely will be used. Plus we are using soundproofing in the walls, floor and using solid doors for the master bedroom and master bathroom. I am sure it won't be perfect but it will help tremendously.

• runnergirl79
    9 years ago

We looked at a lot of plans with the Master BR next to the family room. I was very uneasy about this layout because I have dog ears and can hear just about anything! We discussed the option of soundproofing materials, but that also made me uneasy because I need to be able to hear my two young children.

We ended up moving the master upstairs and I feel so, so much better about this layout. I know that's not a solution for many, so is there any way you can adjust the closet or bathroom so it's against the family room wall instead?

Good luck, and hope you figure it out!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner