Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stitz_crew

Roofing for Sun Room (efficiency)

stitz_crew
10 years ago

We are planning on building a sunroom with simple gable roof and leaving it vaulted with the roof slope. since there are many windows efficiency will be a large factor. I was looking at spray foam under roof.

Main question.

Would it be beneficial to add a second sheathing layer on the roof that is furred out to allow airspace between sheathing layers. This would allow most of the heat generated by the shingles to vent though a ridge vent and minimize the heating of the base sheathing layer that is sprayed foamed on the underside. This would also allow the base sheathing to breathe.

Do you think this is worth the extra cost or not?

Any other ideas on how to make a sunroom efficient while maintaining open views (quality efficient windows are already planned)

Comments (5)

• User
    10 years ago

Is this to be climate controlled? What is the climate? In a lot of places, the solar gain through the windows will be the biggest issue, so you need to be sure to pick the right windows for your climate. If you're in a sunny climate, forget a sunroom unless you've got money to burn to put in triple glazed windows and AC to keep it cool.

For the roof, SIPS with metal as the top surface would be best.

This post was edited by hollysprings on Wed, May 29, 13 at 20:46

• stitz_crew
    Original Author
    10 years ago

it is in Tennessee ....and yes climate controlled. Likely separate mini split system to turn on or off during really hot/cold days. Mostly want to use in evenings after the peak of the heat. Will have fireplace for winter...Nashville winters are not too bad but summers can be a little harsh. Most likely high quality double paned window. Goal is to keep it comfortable enough for our dogs to keep them out of main house when we are at work and allow them access to yard without having a large dog door into main house for anyone to use. It will face the east so peak temp time around 2-4pm will not have direct sunlight hitting windows.

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

I'm in the Memphis metro area, so slightly warmer than you, but not by much. I tore down my sunroom and rebuilt it to be part of the house. It simply wasn't possible to have the typically built structure with so many windows be cool enough in the summer without a LOT of expense that I wasn't willing to spend. I suffered through 15 years of that 130 degree oven (That DID have a HVAC run piped to it.) attached to the home before we did the project, and am I ever glad that we got rid of it. Sunrooms are great for northern climates where it's cool. In the South, they are unused about 9 months of the year. Even a "screen room" doesn't get used but about 6 months of the year. Summertime is just too brutal, and we hide from the sun rather than try to maximize our exposure to it.

• stitz_crew
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the response. I know that a sunroom is not the most cost effective room due to windows. It will not be an addition but built to be part of the house from the beginning. There will be living space underneath. I don't plan on floor to ceiling windows but windows designed for good viewing angles. The goal is to use the room mainly in the evening and use a separate mini split system on programmable stat. We are on 12 acres can want to enjoy the view of our property during the evening. I am willing to make the extra expense to enjoy our land. From reading I am hoping that the Eastern exposure will help keep it cooler during peak heat times. We will build a pool soon after and feel that a fully enclosed and condition sunroom makes more sense than a screen porch. Sorry that you have had a bad experience with yours. I am just hoping to build it right the first time to avoid future headaches. Thanks again

• stitz_crew
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the response. I know that a sunroom is not the most cost effective room due to windows. It will not be an addition but built to be part of the house from the beginning. There will be living space underneath. I don't plan on floor to ceiling windows but windows designed for good viewing angles. The goal is to use the room mainly in the evening and use a separate mini split system on programmable stat. We are on 12 acres can want to enjoy the view of our property during the evening. I am willing to make the extra expense to enjoy our land. From reading I am hoping that the Eastern exposure will help keep it cooler during peak heat times. We will build a pool soon after and feel that a fully enclosed and condition sunroom makes more sense than a screen porch. Sorry that you have had a bad experience with yours. I am just hoping to build it right the first time to avoid future headaches. Thanks again