Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the the typical width of fascia?

Posted by swampwiz (My Page) on
Tue, May 12, 09 at 17:38

I was wondering what the is the typical width of fascia. Also, is this typically a set height to match some manufacturing standard, or is just something that the framers just cut to.

This is important because there is a correlation between this width and the length of eave and the relative height of the soffit (as well as the thickness of the rafter.) I'm trying to figure out what this relative height would be.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the the typical width of fascia?

The vertical height of the rafter tail.

o

normally we use a 2/6 for the fascia board on the rafter tail so it would be 5 1/2 inches

o

Everything depends on the slope of the roof and the design of the cornice or roof overhang. There is no standard size to my knowledge. If you want to understand the detail you should draw it to scale.

o

Every one is different. I usually use 1x8 fascia's and frieze boards. I like the roof to have a more substantial feel and I think this does it. The style of the house sometimes affects this as well.

o
RE: What is the the typical thickness of fascia board.

I got a house with fascias made with 1/2 x 7 inch exterior plywood (actual thickness)). Most I see are 1X6 pine board 3/4 thick.
Is this a code violation in GA? Can it be a problem. Previous fascia was wasted due to no drip edge and roofing way past due an oil change.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here