Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dneubecker

triple track storm windows

mdln
9 years ago

cross-post from windows -

Is it worth putting triple track storm windows over new Jeld-Wen windows???

Yes, I realize Jeld-Wen was not a good choice. Too late, they are already installed.

This is a fire restoration and insurance company will pay to replace the triple track storm windows. Is it worth doing this?

Thank you!

Comments (11)

• renovator8
    9 years ago

Jeld Wen is the largest window company in the world. It was once 4 wood & wood clad window companies (Pozzi, Caradco, Wenco & Norco that were brought together as different models under the Jeld Wen name in addition to different models of vinyl windows. These models cover the entire spectrum of window quality. Their professional catalogs takes up a foot of shelf space.

Without specifying the model and type of window It would be as pointless to discuss Jeld Wen windows as it would be to discuss storm windows without knowing the local climate.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good points Renovator8.

I am in the Chicago area, where we have far more cold weather than warm. It snowed a couple weeks ago - in the middle of May. It seems summer, at best lasts 2 months.

The windows are double hung. Am looking at the window label, how can I determine the model? I see ''XL Edge, B52, 2.2:E272-13.OFBD-2.2''

• renovator8
    9 years ago

That's the glass information from Cardinal Glass. It tells you the glass is LowE2 - 272.

The manufacturer's name may be on the hardware or the glass spacer bar but the model would be a code number that only the manufacturer would understand.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

If I recall from the window forum your windows are vinyl correct? I think the info you received there was perfect advice with nothing really to add to it by the way.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

Jeld Wen makes the following PVC windows:

Premium Vinyl (V-4500)
    Builders Vinyl (V-2500)
    Premium Atlantic Vinyl

I know nothing about them.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@millworkman - yes, that is correct. Was hoping to gather more opinions on this forum.

Am leaning toward getting the storm windows. I like having the screen on only half the window - to allow more sunlight in. The screen for the Jeld-Wen is a full size.

Also, it seems no one has anything good to say about Jeld-Wen, so I may need any benefit the storm windows provide.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

Jeld Wen makes some of the best windows available. Apparently you have their vinyl windows which you should have told us in the first place. Vinyl windows vary in quality like any other windows and you haven't told us what model you have. I'm not a big fan of Jeld Wen but you should not malign a company that you know nothing about.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ Renovator8 - SORRY for missing that they are vinyl. I do NOT know what model they are and have not figured out how I can tell.

It is NOT me maligning the company. If you read my statement is it says "it seems no one has anything good to say." I have no personal opinion (yet), am just commenting on what I am reading.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are the Builders Vinyl.

So, back to my original question, living in the Chicago area - is it worth putting triple track storm windows over them?

Thank you.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

I do nit believe your windows will be covered under any warranty if you use them. Between the heat build up and the fact that you need to drill holes for screws no one would honor warranty plus the windows are hollow so nothing for the screws to hold into.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a written response from Jeld-Wen that using storm windows will NOT void the warranty.

So, is it worth putting triple track storm windows up?