Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wet Basement

Posted by rasmich (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 17:00

Thank you for everyones advice. These forums make building so much easier. We are building a home in Upstate NY. They are just starting to put the roof trusses on at this point. The basement slab hasn't been poured yet. Its been very wet lately. I've noticed the basement is soaked. No pools of water but lots of areas of wetness on the cement foundation blocks and on the gravel floor. Obviously since we are still wide open a lot of this is just rain coming through from above. But some areas seem to be along walls that are covered well. Could this be seeping from the ground around the house? Is it too early to start to get worried that my basement might flood once complete? Am I just being paranoid and it will dry up once I have a roof and windows and insulation? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wet Basement

Are you putting in sump pumps, with drain tiles outside around the edges. We put our basement in first, then the house. We have high water table level. With roof trusses in, how are they going to put the basement floor in. We have a very thick floor, with steel/houses in the floor, styrofome walls, filled with cement reinforced with steel rods. No leaks for 10 years, but then we have no plants next to the house with rocks for drainage.

o

There is a sump pump and drain tiles, already placed. Not sure how they are going to pour the floor. This is how they do it, or at least this is what they have told me.

o

The sump may be in place but doubtful the pump is installed.

No need to worry yet. Everything will fall into place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here