Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reno808

Recessed LED lighting for new build

Reno808
10 years ago

We are in the design phase and looking at LED lighting options. Amazon has these lights that can be fitted with LEDs. We live in a temperate climate (hawaii) so I don't think we will have insulation (maybe to keep out the heat). The question is would these be appropriate for a new build and does anybody have experience with these?

Comments (5)

• LOTO
    10 years ago

I am looking at 4" LED cans (the complete housing with bulb) and they are 8.75 watt and produce 641 lumens and color accuracy is 82. About $42.00 with discount but the cans are sealed very well and you can insulate right over the top of them.
    I don't know if all areas do this but we can go to the post office where we are changing to (about 20 miles from our last home) and sign up as a new resident and get the welcome packet and in it is a 10% off discount from Lowes. and that is where I probably will get our LED lights...about 60 cans and 10% off adds up...my electrician even told me to buy them there.

• kcinkc71
    10 years ago

Have to ask....Lock out, tag out? Good info on the lights from lowes. Will try the post office thing. Not yet as far along, but want to do LED 4" cans as well. Did you get snow? Saw Springfield was getting some. Where the hell is spring?

• kcinkc71
    10 years ago

Have to ask....Lock out, tag out? Good info on the lights from lowes. Will try the post office thing. Not yet as far along, but want to do LED 4" cans as well. Did you get snow? Saw Springfield was getting some. Where the hell is spring?

• LOTO
    10 years ago

kcinkc21...not sure what you mean by lock out, tag out...I know what it means but not sure if/how the questions relates to me.
    I also have a Lowes commercial credit account and you don't have to be a contractor to get one and you get 5% off of all items when using it.
    No snow but a little rain today and I showed Lake houses all day..it was a little brisk on the docks though.

• flgargoyle
    10 years ago

LOTO= Lock Out Tag Out.

I've been experimenting with LED cans for our build. We're not ready to install them yet, but I tried some out in our barn to see if we like them. At Home Depot, they have 6" re-fits for $30. The cans themselves are about $5-6. These are Cree LED's, which are supposed to be very good, and are fully dimmable. The lights are 9.5 watts, and generate almost no heat at all. I've gone from wanting a 'few' cans in the house to probably about 20!