Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
broston2

Roof/Porch opinions please!

broston2
9 years ago

I have been focusing all attention on the floorplan, and now i'm stuck on the exterior. I need unbiased opinions from educated people. I like the rustic craftsman style, yet my house is a ranch. I had an architect draw the exterior (1st black/white photo) and I love it. I took it to my builder (who does not share the same style as myself) and he has negative opinions. The porch is a 3/12 slope which he says will not wear well (shingle/metal wise) and will not be structurally as good due to water issues because of the lesser slope. He drew the last photo which is a whole different house and much more traditional. It has a 7/12 roof. Opinions anyone? I don't know whether to scrap the 3/12 roof (I don't want water issues) or fight for it.

Comments (11)

• broston2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

builders exterior

• runnergirl79
    9 years ago

I can't tell you if the first rendering roof line causes a structural issue, but I do find it much more aesthetically pleasing than the builder's exterior!

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

Why does the builder say you would have water issues with a 3/12 slope roof? Water flows faster on a metal roof, so as long as the manufacturer states a 3/12 roof is acceptable, it should be fine. Can't comment on the shingles as we don't have any.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

If you raise the ridge line of the gable roofs they would be more attractive and the center roof would not have that awkward hipped look. Whether the low-sloped roof is asphalt shingled or metal it should have a continuous layer of Ice & Water Shield under it.

• broston2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anyone else?

• JenBL
    9 years ago

I like the first option. You are the one living with it - not the builder. When you pull up to your house, is it going to make you happy - or are you going to wish you had done it differently?

• rqhome
    9 years ago

A few thoughts...If you love what the architect did, I would go that route - otherwise you will grow to dislike your own home. I personally prefer the architect's - it looks 3 dimensional, in proportion and cute.

The builder's version is more simplistic looking to me and takes away the hip roof look, which you obviously like. He also changed windows and made it look like a track home (my opinion).

As a side note, have you looked at any homes the builder has designed and built? Did you like any of them once they were done? Our builder wasn't good artistically - he was a great framer and built beautiful homes...off an architect's blueprint. The ones he designed himself looked 2 dimensional (flat), had too small of windows, etc. Therefore we made sure we had an architectural blue print for him to follow and it has turned out great.

Regarding the roof pitch, we had one roof line (large porch) with a 3/12 pitch and our builder said the same thing as yours so there is truth in it. He said a 3/12 pitch is normal and ok for a metal roof. He said shingles will work, but they have to be laid differently (follow instructions from shingle company), they will wear out faster and are more likely to have ice damming issues. In our case, we wanted shingles (budget reasons), so we left the 3/12 pitch and put Ice & Water shield on the whole roof line before having the shingles installed. I'm not sure where you live, but if you are going to have heavy snow or ice, this pitch may be a problem unless you have a metal roof. Also it depends what direction your house if facing. Our 3/12 roof line faces north and we get snow, so it likes to sit there, which concerned our builder as well.

Since your architect made the roof metal, it will be fine if you have ice & water shield. I like that he contrasted the metal on the porch with the shingles on the rest. It adds dimension and will be fine. IMO, I don't think the other changes made by the builder just to change the porch pitch are justified and totally change the look.

If he is insistent and you really want him as your builder, maybe ask him to replace his two windows with one (front left) and put the little roof over it, add the dormer in the middle and take off the two gable roofs on the ends that he added. See how that looks. If he made those changes, it would look similar to the architect's, only with a steeper roof.

Good luck!

This post was edited by RQHome on Thu, May 22, 14 at 8:08

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Make sure you aren't reacting to the fact that the builder left off the shed dormer and the gable windows...it's not apples to apples with just a roofline change.

• ChrisStewart
    9 years ago

Think the original was better and I do not see a problem as long as it is built well.

• musicgal
    9 years ago

We have standing seam on part of our roofline where the roofer said we would require it due to low pitch. It works just fine. I think it's important that you fight for the architect's facade. It may cost a little more but it will bring you a lot of pleasure visually.
    IMO, it would be easy to do without the dormer and forgo that expense.

• broston2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I have sort of combined those 2 ideas. Now there are gables on the ends, copper shed roof between front gables. Decorative trusses on front gables with shake siding at the top part of the front gables. Large cedar posts for porch. Sound ok?