Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephen_costa574

Spacing Advantech subfloor panels

Stephen Costa
9 years ago

I realize this is a flooring question, but I'm posting here both because we're building a whole house and I presume that many others building new are using Advantech sub-floor.

Our first floor deck is down, and I noticed that the Advantech floor panels have large print on them, directing that panels be spaced 1/8" apart. The panels are T&G lengthwise and automatically spaced along that edge. However the butt-ends are flush so an installer needs to consciously leave the 1/8" space between panels when installing the sub-floor.

The spacing between the butt-ends of our Advantech sub-floor is tighter than 1/8" -- more like 1/16", and in several areas even tighter. I'm concerned that the floor may wind up squeaking down the road. The builder says he's never had a problem installing these panels this way.... though I don't know why he wouldn't just install them as directed by the clear instructions printed on every panel -- must be there for a reason, right??

Wondering if anyone else has paid attention to the spacing of Advantech subfloor panels on their jobs, and if the spacing was tight, did it result in a noisy finished floor later?

Note, we'll be nailing down 5/8" hardwood flooring on-top of the Advantech later.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler