Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
guardwife_gw

Final stages of floor plan...any thoughts

guardwife
10 years ago

This is the recent floor plan from our builder. Any suggestions on what could be done better. Please ignore the writing regarding the recessed lights. We removed the vault from bedroom 3. We are removing the second linen closet in the master bathroom so we can have a larger vanity. With only one window in the master bathroom, we may add awning windows above the vanity mirrors. Thank you for your time.

Comments (5)

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I might rework the MBR end of the house to get the Bedroom on the outside corner and the bathroom and closet in between. Right now you have two things that can cause some noise and vibration up against two walls of the master bedroom: the kitchen exhaust and the washer and dryer. Switching some of this will make the master bedroom more private.

I am also not sure I would like a back way into the master bath from the powder room, and a direct view of the bed in the master bedroom from the mudroom. The powder room toilet is also closer to the bedroom than the master bath toilet and I am wondering if you would end up using that at night because it's a shorter walk.

I think it could all be worked out in the same footprint, but there are some issues with it currently.

• Spottythecat
    10 years ago

Laundry room - the only way to enter is from the master closet or a powder bath...would it want it accessible from other areas?

Offices look "grand" when they have double doors...just a thought for you.

Good luck with your build!

Pam

• lmccarly
    10 years ago

I really don't care for the mudroom/powder room/laundry set up. The mudroom area is huge with wasted space and then the laundry and bath are cramed together. I would have that area reworked.

Also with only having one dining area, is it deep enough? Depending on your table size, you might have a bottleneck there.

• chicagoans
    10 years ago

I agree with others that I'd want to rework the MB so that the bedroom is on the corner (windows on 2 sides) and the closet and bathroom are on mostly interior walls. The master closet has a lot of wasted floor space - are you putting furniture or a bench in there? If not it can be smaller. (You're losing a wall of shelves/closet rod because of the pocket door - you can't hang anything on that wall.)

I also wouldn't want the laundry accessible only through a powder room or master closet. I'd rather have it off the mudroom.

Looks like there is a straight line view from the living room and kitchen island to the toilet in the bathroom at the left of the house. If you flip that bathroom so the tub and linen closet are on the bottom and sink and toilet are at the top, then you eliminate that view.

You have a large foyer but no entry closet. Even in a mild climate you might want space for umbrellas, guest jackets, etc. I'd consider shifting the door a bit to one side or the other and adding a hall closet.

• guardwife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

palimpest - thank you for your suggestions. We are 'flipping' the location of the washer/dryer so it isn't on the same wall as the master bedroom. We are doing the same with layout of the powder room. We prefer to have the masterbath connected to the master closet connected to the laundry room. I am not sure we can keep the same footprint and move the powder room. We want a powder room close to the mudroom so the kids will use this one when coming in from playing. We thought about moving the bedroom to outside wall but we really like the back elevation right now.

spottythecat - thanks for your recommendation on the double doors for the office. We are adding that to our plan.

imccarly - i also was worried about the large mudroom but with 4 kids we need the room. Also, our lot is on a man-made bay with access to the river so we will be enjoying the water so the extra room in the mudroom works for us. We are making the dining room 1-2 feet longer. Thank you for your advice.

chicagoans - thank you for reviewing and providing your comments. We are adding a bench to the master closet. We are also putting a dresser and some shelves in the corner that you mentioned. Our builder has reassured us that we will be able to hang shelves even though we have a pocket door; although I am considering a swing door. Yikes - I didn't even notice the 'eye line' from island to the toilet in the 2nd bath - I am definitely having that changed =)

Thank you all for taking the time to review my plan and providing suggestions!