Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdezzy4

Stained Trim - Interior?

mdezzy4
14 years ago

Does anyone have stained or dark interior trim around windows and doors that they could post pictures of?

My wife and I are trying to decide between this and white trim but have not seen many photos of dark trim.

Thanks.

Comments (15)

• beware
    14 years ago

You may wish to search for pictures at this site:
    http://www.houzz.com/

It has lots of photos that help give inspiration & ideas.

• mdezzy4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the help. I will definitely take a look at that website.

• allison0704
    14 years ago

Here are some pictures of my home. I love the contrast of the dark wood/trim with the light walls and travertine. Looks great with the hardwoods too. True wall color is more like the great room photo.

Lower Level Den

{{gwi:1445956}}

Sunroom

{{gwi:1445958}}

Great Room

{{gwi:1445960}}

With wood flooring

{{gwi:1399738}}

• allison0704
    14 years ago

Bumping back to top, so someone can find my wood floors. :D

• heathermj
    14 years ago

Glad you bumped it - your wood floors are very pretty! Can you tell me more about the floors? I also love your trim! I'm trying to decide what to stain our trim.
    Thanks for any info!

• srercrcr
    14 years ago

My 70s house that I turned into a rental unit had white walls and dark brown trim. I liked it for many years but I think it looks a little aged now. There's so many color options nowadays, especially wall colors. IMO

• allison0704
    14 years ago

Thanks, Heather. The floors are #2 grade oak. Stained with 2 coats of Minwax Dark Walnut. Finished with 3 coats of Tung Oil. We built a new "old" house and I did not want any shine on the floors. We have 4 inside pets (2 cats and 2 dogs) and the floors do not get scratched by them. The few times I have scratched with furniture, etc I just take either a touch of wood scratch cover (Old English) or tung oil on a paper towel and it blends back in with the floor.

Our trim is clear pine. DH and I destressed each and every piece before it was stained/installed. I'm having brain freeze this morning on what stain was used. :(

srererer, you know what they say about opinions. ;) I had color on the walls in almost every room in our last home. Our new home is a European cottage on lake - lots of stone outside. Beams and copper inside and out. The color is a warm white, not cold or stark feeling like most rental units or modern houses. 4 of 20 rooms are painted Farrow & Ball French Grey (which is really green) and the exercise room is painted F&B Light Blue. I'd rather have color coming from the view or the furniture and accessories/rugs. I realize it is not the look for everyone, but everyone does not live here. ;D

Here is a link that might be useful: My Kitchen

• heathermj
    14 years ago

Thanks, Allison, for all of the info!
    How did you distress your trim? I've been told about several "methods" and was curious what worked best for you!
    If you don't mind, let me know if you remember what stain you used on your trim! It is so pretty and I agree it looks best against the lighter walls!

I am in LOVE with your cabinets! Thanks for sharing!

• allison0704
    14 years ago

I had the trim carpenters make me several wooden paddles - then they shot a bunch of finish nails through it. I dulled the ends of the nails a bit. Also used a regular hammer - both ends. I tried chains, but they went swinging around too much and were too loud.

We used Walnut Wainscot on our windows/doors and trim. It is/was a special mix color at Sherwin Williams - just means it's not available off the shelf, or wasn't at the time.

Early American on the cedar beams. And a 50/50 mix of EA and WW on the spruce T&G veranda ceilings. Everything is very close to the same, if not the same, which was what I was after.

Thanks! The kitchen turned out exactly as I planned. The island is the F&B French Gray that several rooms are painted. It has a glaze, so it does look different than the walls.

fyi, the walls are SW Moderate White. When finding the right white, you do have to paint large areas (at least 4x4ft) and visually block off everything around the areas when looking/comparing. I just blocked off all but one color using my hands. I had 5 whites painted on the fridge wall - since it would be covered up - to help me decide. Really depends on location, setting, natural light, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: SW Moderate White

• tinycastles
    14 years ago

We have 4 1/4 inch oak trim that is stained rather dark. FYI our house has a drastic overhang which affects the amount of natural light coming in, so everything generally photographs slightly darker than it is in actuality. We have "peaked" ornate moldings on all the (floor) corners, but no crown molding. Sorry I don't have close-up pics, these were taken for real estate purposes and are the only ones I have:)

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Not sure whether you're looking for dark stained trim, or just any stained trim. Mine is radiata pine stained with Minwax Honey Maple gel, satin poly on top.

(sorry a couple of windows still need to be done)

{{gwi:1445973}}

Trying to get a pic of my BR furniture, but at least you can see windows

Right after DR floor installed - haven't finished base over tile or stairs yet.

Right after DR floor installed - window trim not up yet.

Sorry, I just don't have any good overall room pics showing baseboard and window trim, really, I do have all the BRs done, the DR is done now, most of the house is but I just haven't taken pics! HTH

• michema5
    13 years ago

Bumping this one up in hopes that we will see more pics! Anyone out there with a dark stained trim/doors/windows? Some of the previous pics are no longer available. Please repost if you can! Thanks.

• crazyhouse6
    13 years ago

We have stained maple trim and baseboard on the main level (alder cabinets) and a darker stained knotty alder on the lower level of our house. We painted the trim and doors in the bedrooms and upper level. I personally like the warmth of stained wood. Here are some pictures.

Lower level bar area:

• bigtrain333
    13 years ago

Crazyhouse6- your house looks fantastic! I want to put stained concrete in my basement, is that what you have? If so can you give me details?

• crazyhouse6
    13 years ago

bigtrain333 - Thanks. Yes, that is stained concrete. We had the concrete colored coming out of the truck, then threw on 2 more accent colors (sorry - can't remember many details), and scored it in 5 x 5 squares on a diagonal. It was done when the basement was being poured and we could barely see what was being done. It's very forgiving. I love how easy it is to maintain and how it can take a beating.