Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

how far to get in the process with builders before choosing?

illinigirl
10 years ago

Hi,
We are in contact with 2 builders so far. We have gotten farther into the process with one as far as talking a little more pricing detail and walking lots (we haven't bought a lot yet but we've identified some options that we like). He is going to take us on a tour of more homes from his previous clients so we can see things that would be in our price range.

The other builder we met and toured a couple homes with and now we are going to walk lots with him (likely the same lots).

do we need to disclose to each builder that we are are talking with other builders? We made it clear in our initial communications that we were just beginning our process but we never spoke about other builders.

I'm wondering how far it's fair to take this into the process before deciding on one builder.

ty

Comments (7)

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

We ran the plans by several builders for prelim bids. I never specified that we were or were not looking in different directions. Until the contract is signed or you make a verbal commitment I think they assume you will feel out your options. IDK, I am far from experienced.

• pcfarm
    10 years ago

We are in a similar situation right now. We are working on our design and have talked to a couple builders for very preliminary estimates, just to make sure we were on the right track and they could build the style and size of house we wanted for approximately what we could afford. When our plans are complete and we decide on many of the finishes, then we will get bids from them and probably will contact one or two additional builders in the area. Both builders know that we are talking to others and I hope that knowing they will be competing for our business will help us get a fair price. There are alot of unknowns until we get farther along in the process.

• User
    10 years ago

Two builders isn't nearly enough. Interview more to educate yourself better. But, unless you've done some preliminary talking with an architect, you're getting ahead of yourself if you are actually talking any kinds of specifics. The land comes first. Then the architect to design the plan for the land. Then the builder to build the plan. This is like interviewing for insurance agents and you don't know if you're going to be buying a SUV or sports car yet.

• hapnor
    10 years ago

Do architects know with any degree of certainty what their designs will cost to build?

We are at this stage as well and are unsure of starting with a design build firm or an architect. Having an architect designing the plan rather than a design build firm, I think we will be able to bid the design with different builders with greater ease.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

If you use an architect, you may bid the plans and specifications as you may desire. If you use a design-build firm, they may retain ownership of the plans and specifications and no allow you to bid them at all. You will have to see what your contract with the design-build firm says.

As to anyone knowing "with any degree of certainty what their designs cost to build", the answer is yes, experienced design professionals should have a good understanding of the cost range for construction of their designs.

As for exact costs, no one knows this until the day that the plans and specs are bid, since labor and materials costs, weather delays and the cost of doing business, etc., change and cannot be controlled by any known human.

One of the best ways for expense management, however, is for owners to do their homework, identify and separate their essential needs from their desirable wants at the outset. Thereafter, avoid loading up the design with change after change. The same applies during the construction phase--avoid change orders unless they are essential. It's easy to get carried away with incremental changes that add up to a major cost escalation.

Good luck with you project!

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are kind of doing everything at once. I feel like I need questions answered from all areas before we even buy a lot! I need to know if what we need/ want is in our budget.
    we havent decided what route go as far as architect from the ground up, buying a stock plan from a local architect ora stock plan a builder already built with changes made by a home designer. We are considering all options.

• abrshafer
    10 years ago

We talked to 6 builders total. We had narrowed it down to two builders by the time we had the final plans and wanting the detailed bids.

Before we bought the lot, we did have the builder we "thought" was going to be our builder walk the land to make sure it was a suitable/uncomplicated lot for building. We then bought our lot and followed with creating plans.

We did not choose/sign a contract with a builder until we had a detailed bid with the finished (not preliminary) plans. We did give the preliminary plans to four builders and got "estimated" bids to know if we were in our price range or we needed to make revisions (which we did).

We signed contract with builder literally the day we turned in application for construction loan and we did not pay builder a deposit until construction loan was closed. (approx 45 days later)

* Estimated bid the builders just did a "ballpark" price range and took 1-2 days to get back. Final/detailed bid took each builder 3-4 weeks to prepare since they sent plans to subcontractors, etc and got exact amounts.

Good luck!

This post was edited by abrshafer on Wed, May 29, 13 at 12:19