Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caymaiden

Curious to know what you all think...

caymaiden
10 years ago

I love looking at the plans and finishes of the Coastal Living Idea Houses each year and wondered what you all think of this year's "Show Home." Have a look and critique away, if you have a bit of spare time! I like the great room and breakfast room, but would have put the laundry room downstairs near the mud room. The "rear hall" seems like wasted space to me but I can see how it might be used as a small reading or study nook.

I'd love to hear what others think... Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Coastal Living 2013 Show Home in Daniel Island

Comments (6)

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

Well, I'd like to see the staircase more centrally located.

I understand your point about the laundry being near the mudroom, especially in a beach home, but am also pretty fond of laundries located near bedrooms. I think it depends on whether this is a full-time home or a vacation home.

I don't like the choppy dining room (bar?!?) at all -- furniture placement would be a real pain. But if it's used as a study (or saloon) it would probably work.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Not a fan....that rear hall is weird and I would never use the dining room as it's too far from the kitchen. I also don't like sending guests to the "garage" to find the PR.

• rrah
    10 years ago

Not a big fan. The distance from the kitchen to the main dining room would be a problem as one needs to go through the foyer or weave through the mudroom hall to bring food into the dining room. The location of the stairs bothers me.

I also think the rear hall on the second floor is a waste of space. I don't like the two doors into the MB. What's the point? Getting to the second bedroom through that rear hall--again, why? I can see a need for privacy in a vacation home, but this really wastes a lot of space and makes it awkward.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

I agree with y'all:

- The dining room is much too separate from the kitchen, and the dining room is just a little odd. That single thing would be turn-off enough for me.
    - The upstairs rear hallway is lovely, I'm sure, but it is wasted space. We lived in a house with such an upstairs when I was a kid, and it was never used for . . . well, anything. Except I liked to run and "skate" in sock feet. Occasionally my grandmother'd try to set it up as a sitting area, but it never lasted: No one liked squeezing around the chairs to reach the bedrooms.
    - I agree that, for a beach house, I'd want the laundry downstairs -- for towels and so forth. This house has a bathroom for every bedroom, which is over-kill. I'd take out at least one of them and use the space for a second laundry room. Yes, that's over-kill too, but in this house, I think I'd rather have that than too many toilets to clean.

I'd add:

- With a full bath accessible from the front hallway, the powder room is unnecessary. I'd use the current powder room space to enlarge the pantry.
    - The downstairs full bath is odd. Why is each item divided into its own little room?
    - Given that the plan includes one downstairs bedroom, an elevator is a very expensive item.
    - Staircase layout seems inefficient.

• LE
    10 years ago

The garage in the first sketch is really cute! I'd live in that...

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

The bedrooms don't present very many options for bed placement and I think a bed and a couple nightstands would either end up being squeezed between two doors or overlapping the windows in most of the bedrooms.

The problem with the house is that it is almost square and this puts some dead space right in the middle that can't be used for much except circulation. And I think this house has excessive circulation for its size.

The dining room actually looks like it is meant to be a "bar" but its in an odd location for that, too.