Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
equallydivided_gw

Dear Homebuilder Guru's... Atlanta Metro Area

equallydivided
11 years ago

I have to admit, when my husband broke out a pencil and graph paper, I felt a surge of anxiety like I had never experienced before!

We did find a floorplan, property and builder that we like. We are only making minor changes to the floorplan as it is (found here http://www.coolhouseplans.com/details.html?pid=37310 ).

I personally have a simplistic but bold style. More craftsman than anything, I don't care for scrolled, intricate, meticulous detailing. I prefer a long, simple varnished wood bookshelf attached to a drywall cutout, over a huge wall-sized built-in. I want very few kitchen upper cabinets, because I want an open shelving walk-in pantry (which is one of the changes, most of the side porch will be used for that purpose). We are also passionate about a pot rack above the kitchen island that we will be fitting into the plan.

We are planning for a walkout basement (unfinished for now). The plan is around 3,500 sq. feet for the main and upper. We only have one teenage child left at home, but maybe one more in the future.

Changes to the plan;

-Walk in pantry added on majority of side porch.

-Small kitchen reconfig to add kitchen island, and remove wall between kichen and great room.

-Get RID of the Jack and Jill upstairs bath. One entry from hall

-Move firplace towards the back wall, television can be viewed from the breakfast and kitchen area, and alleviate the TV over the fireplace issue!

-Slightly widening the Master Bath so that a double-headed shower can be accomodated. This is a must!

-Laundry chute or dumbwaiter in the Kitchen/Utility area.

That's all I really have listed for the moment. I am interested in hearing your thoughts or ideas on features that I could easily add for an insignificant amount overall, and enjoy the added features of the home. (A mudroom isn't necessary).

Additionally, I'm fine with using my bargain hunting prowess to find amazing deals to lower our loan amount. It's NOT that we can't afford the house. I love to find a great deal, and having a smaller house payment because of it feels too good to be true. Resources, internet or physical retailers in the ATL area, experiences, or things we can do without 'finishing' now (so we can take our time and enjoy it later) are all appreciated. I hate the idea of having identical bathrooms throughout the house, anyway!

Thanks for your input, I have learned SO MUCH through this website. It's not just about giving people information on here. It's about relieving anxiety, it's about community and shared interests, and making people feel less overwhelmed about the process. Thanks for your help!

Additionally, can someone provide a timeline, or expected sequence in which I'll need to make decisions or purchases for items throughout the home? I just always want to know 'What's Next?'

We want to use part of the basement for a one (large) vehicle drive-under garage. Any ideas on that? Seems like it really doesn't fit anywhere convenient.

Thanks so much for everything!

Here is a link that might be useful: House Plan

Comments (2)