Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dear Homebuilder Guru's... Atlanta Metro Area

Posted by equallydivided (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 12 at 15:47

I have to admit, when my husband broke out a pencil and graph paper, I felt a surge of anxiety like I had never experienced before!

We did find a floorplan, property and builder that we like. We are only making minor changes to the floorplan as it is (found here http://www.coolhouseplans.com/details.html?pid=37310 ).

I personally have a simplistic but bold style. More craftsman than anything, I don't care for scrolled, intricate, meticulous detailing. I prefer a long, simple varnished wood bookshelf attached to a drywall cutout, over a huge wall-sized built-in. I want very few kitchen upper cabinets, because I want an open shelving walk-in pantry (which is one of the changes, most of the side porch will be used for that purpose). We are also passionate about a pot rack above the kitchen island that we will be fitting into the plan.

We are planning for a walkout basement (unfinished for now). The plan is around 3,500 sq. feet for the main and upper. We only have one teenage child left at home, but maybe one more in the future.

Changes to the plan;
-Walk in pantry added on majority of side porch.
-Small kitchen reconfig to add kitchen island, and remove wall between kichen and great room.
-Get RID of the Jack and Jill upstairs bath. One entry from hall
-Move firplace towards the back wall, television can be viewed from the breakfast and kitchen area, and alleviate the TV over the fireplace issue!
-Slightly widening the Master Bath so that a double-headed shower can be accomodated. This is a must!
-Laundry chute or dumbwaiter in the Kitchen/Utility area.

That's all I really have listed for the moment. I am interested in hearing your thoughts or ideas on features that I could easily add for an insignificant amount overall, and enjoy the added features of the home. (A mudroom isn't necessary).

Additionally, I'm fine with using my bargain hunting prowess to find amazing deals to lower our loan amount. It's NOT that we can't afford the house. I love to find a great deal, and having a smaller house payment because of it feels too good to be true. Resources, internet or physical retailers in the ATL area, experiences, or things we can do without 'finishing' now (so we can take our time and enjoy it later) are all appreciated. I hate the idea of having identical bathrooms throughout the house, anyway!

Thanks for your input, I have learned SO MUCH through this website. It's not just about giving people information on here. It's about relieving anxiety, it's about community and shared interests, and making people feel less overwhelmed about the process. Thanks for your help!

Additionally, can someone provide a timeline, or expected sequence in which I'll need to make decisions or purchases for items throughout the home? I just always want to know 'What's Next?'

We want to use part of the basement for a one (large) vehicle drive-under garage. Any ideas on that? Seems like it really doesn't fit anywhere convenient.

Thanks so much for everything!

Here is a link that might be useful: House Plan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dear Homebuilder Guru's... Atlanta Metro Area

I think adding on a pantry makes a lot of sense.

If you do a basement garage, would you keep the 2 car garage as shown as well?

I'd definitely swap the oven and refrigerator. Depending on exactly how the pantry is placed, I'd consider setting the refrigerator back into the pantry so you get the look of a counter depth refrigerator but the size (and price) of a regular one.

I don't think there's enough garage entry storage for coats/shoes/bags/etc. I actually have more coats and shoes in that area than the rest of my family combined, so even as the kids age, the space is still valuable.

o
RE: Dear Homebuilder Guru's... Atlanta Metro Area

Thank you so much for your reply!

We are keeping the 2 car on the main. And I noticed that there is NO coat closet near the foyer area. Big bummer, but I'm glad that it was noticed!

I also love the idea of reworking the kitchen. It's all just SO CLOSE but not exactly what I want. Pretty exhausting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here