Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncamy_gw

What is the least toxic floor finish for site finished floors?

ncamy
14 years ago

Originally I had thought I wanted to waterlox my floors because of all the great reviews here, but I am extremely worried about how unhealthy the fumes seem to be. I realize that it's at its worst when it's first being done, but what's the point in going to all the trouble of sealing your crawlspace to keep out molds, using low VOC paints and then using a floor finish that's so toxic you have to wear a mask?

Comments (6)

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"...using a floor finish that's so toxic you have to wear a mask?"

The toxic portion is the solvents used to prevent eh finish from hardening in the can before use.

Water based polyurethanes are about as 'non-toxic' as you can get unless you want to use beeswax and alcohol (and that has barely any protective value to the floor).

• mdev
    14 years ago

I'm glad ncamy asked this question b/c I also want to know the best low-VOC option which will also optimize the look of the finish. We are under the gun to get in the house and I don't want to be breathing in excessive fumes.

• mightyanvil
    14 years ago

There are chemicals used to allow polyurethane to be borne by a water base. They are considered a carcinogen in California but I believe it is only by skin contact.

Read the warnings on the can.

• meldy_nva
    14 years ago

Tung oil is usually considered one of the least toxic floor finishes (100% tung oil is food safe); however, 100% tung oil has a *very* long drying period unless polymerized or mixed with other ingredients (which are often toxic). There are reports of the liquid 100% tung oil being a skin irritant; although I admit I can't really imagine anyone using it without proper gloves.

There are also floor-finsh products containing linseed oil, caruba wax, etc., which are considered low- or non-toxic.

link ~ I came across this site, which might provide some alternatives to the more-common finishes.

Here is a link that might be useful: non-toxic floor finishes.

• thull
    14 years ago

FWIW, I believe that Bona has a low-VOC water-based poly finish. I haven't seen any comments on its use (haven't looked much either). You'd need to have an installer comfortable with the water-based as a first criteria. I think the water-based poly in general is good stuff b/c of the fast curing time compared to oil. But you need to do something that isn't too far outside the installer's comfort zone, regardless.

• coffeehaus
    14 years ago

Our hardwood floors were finished with Bona Traffic, semigloss. It's a water-based polyurethane, as mentioned above. Really pleased with the final product, though can't comment on the durability. We haven't moved in yet. Warning: it is NOT odorless when initially applied.
    {{gwi:1445436}}From Flooring