Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
borasr

Requesting ranch floorplan feedback

switchback
9 years ago

Hello all,
We are finally making our first post to GW. We are excited to begin the process of designing our next home and would appreciate any constructive feedback you could provide. We are attaching the first draft of our 3500 sq. foot ranch on a walkout basement. After a long week of reviewing the plan, I am looking to change the following items: I would prefer to not enter the master bathroom at an angle and I would also like to have both sinks placed adjacent to each other. I would like to move the smaller (his) closet to make room for an additional window on the west wall of the master bedroom. I am open to the idea of changing the current configuration of the closets and bathroom as long as the change does not require walking all the way through the bathroom to enter the closet. Some of my major hang-ups with this plan include the protruding garage as well as placement of the stairs leading to the basement and the configuration and location of the half bath to the left of the entry way foyer. I would prefer a design that keeps the front of the home fairly even from left to right. The current garage design protrudes 25 feet from the front of the home and that is too much. On a scale of 1-10, I am giving this current draft a 4 out of 10. The lot is 184 feet wide with a 10 foot variance on each side, 130 feet deep with a 30 feet setback.

Must Haves
My specific list of must haves that went into the design of this first draft follows: A split bedroom ranch floor plan with 10 foot ceilings and 8 foot door openings totaling a maximum of 3500 sq. feet. A formal entryway foyer. The master bedroom will be on the right side of the home. I would like a layout that allows for moving from the master bedroom to the master bathroom to the closet and then laundry room. I would prefer not to pass through the entire bathroom just to get to the closet. The guest bedrooms would be on the left side of the home with each having their own bathroom. The garage and kitchen would need to be on the left side of the home. I would like a 3 car garage and would be open to a 2 and 1 configuration. I would like a friend entrance located somewhere around the garage on the front or side of the home. We are looking to have a screened in porch on the backside of the breakfast area. We would also prefer a small isolated space for the cat litter box as well as for her food and water dishes. Incorporating this feature in the mud room will probably work out best. The elevation of the home will be craftsman with a covered front porch and door. The rest of this post will be a room by room breakdown of specific design objectives followed by a view of the first draft. Thanks again for any input you are able to provide.

Master Bedroom: 19 x 20
Two windows on right side / windows across the back
Single or double door to bedroom

Master Bathroom: 14 X 14 or bigger
Door to bathroom, single or double
Dry off area from the shower
Sink, single counter top with two sinks
Linen cabinet for towels
Door to laundry room from bathroom or closet

Master bedroom closet:
15 X 15 or bigger for her
7 x 7 for him

Laundry room: 9 X 9
Washout sink
Hanging rack and folding area
Door to master bathroom or master bedroom closet

Family room: 19 X 20

Kitchen: 15 X 18
Island 8 X 5
Sink by window or in island
Microwave area / buffet
Pantry / space for refrigerator / 8 X 7
Eat in kitchen area 15 X 12

Office: 11 X 12
Window seat with book shelves

Half bathroom: 6 X 5

Wide Hallways: 5 ft

Entryway: 9 X 16

Built in cabinet in a hallway

Mudroom

Drop off station by Friend door

Cat area for food and litter box:
Around mudroom or friend door

Friends Entrance

Screened in porch with no stairs / deck with stairs

Two Guest bedrooms:
1. 16 X 14 / bathroom with shower only
2. 14 X 14 / bathroom tub shower combo
3. Bathrooms 10 X 6
4. Linen closet in the hallway

Basement:
Stairs open or not to basement
Stairs hidden or in the back of home

Garage:
3 garage / all together or 2 together and one separate
3rd stall deep enough to accommodate table saw with outlets and lighting

This post was edited by switchback on Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 20:59

Comments (15)

• snookers1999
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Do you have a better picture? I can't really see or read anything.

• switchback
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is this a better photo? Sorry still learning how to upload photos. Thanks!

This post was edited by switchback on Thu, Nov 20, 14 at 20:56

• mrspete
    9 years ago

First, the footprint is very complicated with lots of jigs and jobs -- this will be expensive to build, and it doesn't improve the function of the living area. I'd flatten out a bunch of this exterior.

I would not push the garage out front -- it's any house's worst feature.

Most of the layout looks good, but I think all the bathrooms could stand some improvement:

In the master bath you'll walk through those double doors, and your sight line will be . . . the toilet door. I'd rearrange this so you'd see the tub /window first. As it is, you'll walk in and will be surrounded by doors -- it'll be odd I can't quite make out the shower details, but with so much space, I'd expect a bigger shower -- perhaps a no-barrier, walk-in. I'd consider extending the shower across the end of the bathroom -- or perhaps there at the upper right corner, which is currently closet. I like the connection of the closet and laundry room, but it would be better if you brought the other closet "down" to the front of the house -- then both closets would be connected to the laundry room.

The secondary bathrooms are too small. We had those same bathrooms in our first "starter house", and they were not comfortable to use -- no storage, no space to set out anything by the sink, you have to walk in and scoootch over before you can close the door. This is a large house, and the bedrooms are all generous -- I'd steal space from them to make the bathrooms moderate sized and comfortable.

I'd move the location of both secondary bathrooms:

If the one in the corner were moved to "back up to" the kitchen, you'd save on plumbing expenses AND would gain windows on two walls in the bedroom -- windows on two walls always make a room nicer-- while still keeping a window in the bathroom.

Similarly, I'd switch the other bedroom's closet and bathroom so you could have natural light in the bathroom.

I'd lose the single-car garage so I could have windows on two walls of the other bedroom too. That bedroom, with windows under the porch, may be dark.

I like the pantry arrangement -- it'll be very convenient to enter from the garage and put away the groceries before making it all the way to the kitchen. However, I can't read the word just beyond the pantry. I'd extend the pantry all the way to the edge of the kitchen, where the refrigerator is. Pantries are cheap to build, and they're convenient to use. In contrast, cabinetry is one of the most expensive things in your house. I'd definitely include a short work space /shelf of some sort inside the pantry so you have a place to set down groceries and sort them while putting them away. And motion-sensored lights in the pantry. Do you have space under those large stairs? Could the pantry be extended under there (though half-high) for some deep storage?

At 5' wide, the kitchen island is as wide as I am tall -- that's excessive, and the countertop will cost a fortune. I'd cut it down a bit. I could never reach across it to clean.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

We are attaching the first draft of our 3500 sq. foot ranch on a walkout basement

Where will the walkout part of the basement be located? Will you be walking out the backside of the house?

Screened in porch with no stairs / deck with stairs

What does this mean? Stairs to where? The yard? I am not seeing these are the current plan and they can be a bit tricky considering the slope of the land when you have a walkout basement.

• switchback
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The walkout basement will be on the backside of the home.

Screened in porch and deck:
    we would like to add a screened in porch on the home but was not added in the first floor plan. Trying to figure out the best location. At first it was on the backside of the family room but decided not to due to the amount of light we would loose. So now the deck will be on the backside of the family room with stairs going down to the backyard.
    Any ideas?

• rrah
    9 years ago

I think the bedroom in the front will be very dark as the window, while facing a porch, is almost obstructed by the garage.

I also don't see the purpose of the door from the garage to the friend's entrance.

The master bedroom seems excessive to me. It's as large as the family room. It's nearly a square, and I wonder if the space is really usable or just more floor space.

• switchback
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is another jpeg file showing room locations. Let me know if you still cannot make out the labels. I appreciate the help.

This post was edited by switchback on Thu, Nov 20, 14 at 20:57

• switchback
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To rrah:
    The room on the front of the house is an office. The current location of the garage will change.

• rrah
    9 years ago

I was referring to the one on the left called a bedroom--near the friend's entrance.

• switchback
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rrah:
    Oh! I see....
    Any suggestions on where to move the garage or location of guest bedrooms?
    Thanks!

• User
    9 years ago

Not a ranch at all. Ranches are simple gracefully proportioned structures that can be framed with conventional lumber and have modest roofs. This single story has ungainly roportions, will need truss framing, and complicated support for open spans, and will have a top heavy top hat of a roof. You'd do well to study actal ranch home plans and simplify. This is an expensive house to build, with room sizes all out of proportion to their use. Go back to the drawing board.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

I'm curious where all these dimensions came from. How did you determine that you needed to have a 9x16 entry? Or an 11x12 office a. Etc etc etc. if you are giving your architect specs like that, all s/he is doing is arranging blocks on a piece of paper.

You should go back to the drawing board and talk about functionality. Instead of saying I want a 15x15 closet, talk about how many feet you need for clothes hanging, racks for shoes, dresser, chair to sit in, 3-way mirror, etc. Then let your architect figure out dimensions.

• switchback
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello Ms. Pete,
    Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I've been reading your responses here on GW for a while and I really do appreciate your input. You've provided some great ideas for our current plan. I'd like to address some of the specific points you touched on…
    First, the footprint is very complicated with lots of jigs and jobs -- this will be expensive to build, and it doesn't improve the function of the living area. I'd flatten out a bunch of this exterior.

1. As we work our way through the revisions with the architect, we do intend to address the issues that will lead to higher construction cost without a corresponding increase in living function. Most of the footprint issues will be dealt with then.

I would not push the garage out front -- it's any house's worst feature.

1. I agree. The lot dimensions are sufficient to allow that garage to move further left and back. We will require a 3 car garage and I am open to the idea of a separate 3rd car garage.

Most of the layout looks good, but I think all the bathrooms could stand some improvement:
      In the master bath you'll walk through those double doors, and your sight line will be . . . the toilet door. I'd rearrange this so you'd see the tub /window first. As it is, you'll walk in and will be surrounded by doors -- it'll be odd.

3. Great point here. These ideas will be discussed with our architect at our next meeting. We are also going to recommend moving the separate sinks together in the master bathroom.

I can't quite make out the shower details, but with so much space, I'd expect a bigger shower -- perhaps a no-barrier, walk-in. I'd consider extending the shower across the end of the bathroom -- or perhaps there at the upper right corner, which is currently closet. I like the connection of the closet and laundry room, but it would be better if you brought the other closet "down" to the front of the house -- then both closets would be connected to the laundry room.

1. We will plan on a total redesign of the current master bath layout. I just couldn't wrap my head around his initial layout. Moving my husband's closet to the front of the house would solve the issue of a second window on the west facing wall of the master bedroom as well as eliminate that angled entry into the master bath.

The secondary bathrooms are too small. We had those same bathrooms in our first "starter house", and they were not comfortable to use -- no storage, no space to set out anything by the sink, you have to walk in and scoootch over before you can close the door. This is a large house, and the bedrooms are all generous -- I'd steal space from them to make the bathrooms moderate sized and comfortable.
    I'd move the location of both secondary bathrooms:
    If the one in the corner were moved to "back up to" the kitchen, you'd save on plumbing expenses AND would gain windows on two walls in the bedroom -- windows on two walls always make a room nicer-- while still keeping a window in the bathroom.
    Similarly, I'd switch the other bedroom's closet and bathroom so you could have natural light in the bathroom.

5. This is why I value your input so much! These items are just what I needed to hear concerning those secondary bathrooms. When I looked at the plans, I couldn't quite put my finger on the issues I had with them. With the planned size of both of those rooms (13 x 16 and 12 x 14), there should be ample square footage available to enhance both of those bathrooms.
    I'd lose the single-car garage so I could have windows on two walls of the other bedroom too. That bedroom, with windows under the porch, may be dark.

1. Sounds like a great plan but my husband would lose his 3 car garage/workshop. He's working through the decision process for either an extended 3rd stall to house a small workshop or he'll place that space in the basement.
  • switchback
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello Hollysprings,

Thank you so much for your response. Although the home we are looking to build may not meet the traditional definition of a Ranch in it's current form, our desire is to have a single level home on a walkout basement. We have limited our space requirement to a maximum of 3500 sq. feet. I would love to hear your thoughts on proportionally laying out that space. As depicted, the area from the front door to the left where the half-bath is located could be better utilized. We do not wish to have a formal dining room at the front of the home, the typical use for this part of the floor plan. A majority of the plans I've viewed all have a dining room and/or stairs at the front door, neither of which I'm looking to include. Thanks again for taking the time to view this post. I look forward to your response.

• switchback
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pixie_lou
    Great point. The dimensions for several of the rooms came from our current home. I have a small master closet now and based my desired dimensions on what’s required to accommodate my current wardrobe and needs. I'm open to changing the location,size or layout to give a better flow. As for the dimensions of the other rooms, any ideas and suggestions, especially concerning logical flows from room to room, would be appreciated. Thanks again for taking the time to reply to our post.