Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Do nice fireplace knobs (seen on mantel surround) exist?

threeapples
10 years ago

We have a rusty one that closes our flue. Since it will soon be surrounded by Carrera I'd like to replace it with a brass one, but cannot find any.

Comments (16)

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I've seen your message in a lot of forums. It would help if you posted a picture. I have no clue what a fireplace knob even is! We have 4 fireplaces in 2 homes, and there is not one knob!

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Are you talking about a crank-open flue control? Who is the manufacturer, Vestal? You may be able to get a replacement from them.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Are you talking about a crank-open flue control? Who is the manufacturer, Vestal? You may be able to get a replacement from them.

• ctlady_gw
    10 years ago

I think she is talking about a damper control knob (to open and close the damper - it's undoubtedly attached to a rod of some sort that controls the damper); it allows one to open and close the flue without having to reach into the fireplace itself.

What I don't understand is why it would be rusty in a new build such as this one. I would contact whoever installed the fireplace and ask them to replace it. Personally, I would be more concerned about finding out why it rusted in the first place given the house is new construction. Is there moisture present somehow? Or was it rusty all along? (in which case, no one had any business installing it in the first place!)

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

"why it rusted in the first place given the house is new construction. Is there moisture present somehow?"

If it is bare unpainted steel there is a LOT of water introduced into a new house during construction.

Concrete, mortar, paint, grout, drywall mud, & framing lumber all contain significant moisture.

it can easily take more than a single heating season to dry a new house out.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I only posted this query on GW so perhaps someone else asked the same question elsewhere.

Yes, this is a damper control knob. I'm going to knock it out and not use one. It's rather unsightly.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

you really need to have a knob to operate it properly. Take a picture of it, and if you want to send it to me, that's fine.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Do you plan to use the fireplace? The control knobs are kind of there for a reason...

• ctlady_gw
    10 years ago

Are you planning to refit the damper with a different mechanism (a rod or handle inside the fireplace)? I think I would have a professional deal with that. I assume that's what you mean -- not that you don't intend to have a control for the damper at all, since that would be nuts.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

My fireplaces, which never had dampers originally (1830s) have the pull chain kind inside the firebox(that closes a damper way up top) and I don't care for them much because your hands get filthy opening and closing the damper. I prefer the knob on the outside.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

" I'm going to knock it out and not use one. It's rather unsightly. "

Then how will you open and close the damper?

• athensmomof3
    10 years ago

I have never heard of a damper knob on the outside. I would get it moved inside for sure . . . sounds unsightly outside but definitely a necessary object!

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

They aren't interchangeable.

The knob on the outside turns a screw mechanism to open the damper.

The internal pull chain ones work a different way.

This post was edited by palimpsest on Thu, May 16, 13 at 20:48

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

{{gwi:1445210}}

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's exactly what ours will look like, Palimpsest and I'm ok with it now. I'll sand it and spray with rustoleum.

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

The manufacturer may have elected not to paint them to avoid the paint getting burned off from the heat of the fire.

Some of them get hot enough to not touch after long periods of a large fire.