Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachgirlok

Furniture Sliding on Wood Floor

beachgirlok
16 years ago

I posted this to the flooring forum, but this forum seems to have more activity, so I thought I'd give it another try. I just moved in (partially) and have the couch and love seat in the family room so the kids can at least watch TV during the process, but I haven't picked out area rugs yet. The couch and loveseat are sliding all over the place! So far it isn't scratching the floor, but I know it will if I don't do something. I've heard not to put rubber or latex backed rugs on wood floors because it will stain the floors. So, how do I keep the furniture stationary? And where do you get the product? Secondly, if you have area rugs, how do you keep them from sliding around on the wood if you can't use rubber or latex backing or pads? My last wood floors were 100 years old and I wasn't worried about it. I would appreciate your help!!!

Comments (7)

• sierraeast
    16 years ago

Cant speak for the furniture, but for the area rugs, i've heard of velcro being used.

• jaymielo
    16 years ago

We have little (maybe 3" in diameter) rubber disks or squares under the legs of most of our furniture which sits directly on the hardwoods. It seems to keep most things from sliding. You should be able to find these at any hardware store.

• dekeoboe
    16 years ago

Shepherd Hardware Products makes a product called a slip-n-grip. They attach like any other furniture slide. They grip when flat on the floor, but when tilted the furniture slides. I found them at Home Depot.

ps this is not an endorcement as I haven't actually used them yet

Oh, the dog kept moving a piece of furniture on our hardwood floor. I cut pieces of a rug pad and put it under the furniture and he doesn't move it anymore. They make rug pads that are made for wooden floors, but I can't remember what they are made out of as I threw out the packaging.

• carolyn53562
    16 years ago

Like dekeoboe said, they make pads for hardwood floors. You will want to have a pad as otherwise the backing of the rug may scratch the floor. I put the front feet of the couch and chairs on the rug to keep the them from sliding. I have one other chair that isn't on the rug, but haven't had much problem with that because it's a chair that doesn't get used much.

• grinder12000
    16 years ago

Simple solution - get some carpet remnants, cut small circles, put under legs!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rod and DJ's House Building Adventure

• carolyn53562
    16 years ago

If you do what grinder suggests, be sure to have the carpet side facing the floor as the carpet backing will scratch the floor if you have that side facing the floor. We used carpet remnants to protect our HW during construction had placed them with the carpet side up and our HW installer told us we needed to turn them over have the soft side down and walk on the backing or else we would scratch the floor.

• ddtaylor
    14 years ago

I had the same problem with a couch that has square legs with metal buttons on the bottom. I cut pieces of a no-slip rug pad that I wasn't using, doubled it, and placed one under each leg. Now I can't move the couch! And it isn't visible, because of the skirt on the couch. I have other furniture that has decorative legs, so i don't know if it would work for that -- you'd have to cut the pieces very small.