Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbntn74

Just signed off on final floor stain color...

Missy Benton
11 years ago

I ended up going with 1 part Jacobean and 1 part Midnight Mahogany. It took several attempts to get it not too red, not too green, but just right. He said he'd never mixed that before, which made me nervous, but I really liked it. I think he did too, but who knows. Anyone else do the same formula?

Comments (12)

• nini804
    11 years ago

No, but it sounds pretty! Mine are 75% Jacobean, 25% walnut. So pretty much dark brown, lol.

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

Mine are Coffee Brown - so dark brown too :) They sound pretty!

• Missy Benton
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks ladies! Fingers crossed!!

• Mom23Es
    11 years ago

Who is doing your floors? I read before that you have 4 " boards. We want site finished 5" planks, and we're having a heck of a time finding someone to do it. I see it all the time on houzz, but apparently it's not common around here. We have an Amish gentleman who will do prefinished 5" planks, but I'd really rather have site-finished smooth floors. DH and I are so frustrated by this flooring!!!

I can't wait to see your color. I love nini's color. I've been keeping her stain formula in mind. We really thought we wanted dark dark dark wood floors, but everyone we talk to tells us how hard they are to keep clean. Plus, with bright white cabinets and very neutral tan walls, I think we need a little warmth from the floors.

You're house is looking amazing!! How exciting!! :-)

• Missy Benton
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Mom23Es-Yes, ours are 4". I thought about going with 5" but I was too worried about cupping, so stuck with 4". I do love the wider planks though.

I definitely wanted site finished too. I actually don't know who the flooring company is because they just showed up in an unmarked white van. I can ask them this afternoon if you'd like?

Good luck!

• Mom23Es
    11 years ago

Thanks cbusmomof3! I'd love to know. DH is more obsessed with this wide plank flooring than I am, and he certainly doesn't share my desire for a smooth feeling finish. If we could afford it, he'd love reclaimed "beat up" barnwood floors. I cant wait to see some pics of your finished floors. Maybe DH will compromise to 4" wide! Lol! :-)

• nini804
    11 years ago

Where do you live, Momto3Es? I am in NC, and there are tons of hardwood flooring companies. Like so many, there are a bunch with names like "AAA Flooring" just to be listed first in the Yellow Pages, lol! Hold your ground on getting site finished! You won't be sorry!

• ohlaches
    11 years ago

Mom23Es.... Are you in central ohio? We just had our floors done in 5" rift and quartered white oak. Traditional Hardwood did ours and I love them. They recommended the white oak for the larger planks to avoid the cupping issues. I'd post a pic, but our floors are covered right now. We used two parts special walnut, one part rosewood stain.

• Missy Benton
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's funny...I wanted "beat up barn floors" until I thought about crumbs getting down in the little nicks. I missed the guys this pm but will ask tomorrow!

• threeapples
    11 years ago

Cbusmom, what species of wood are your floors? Can't wait to see them!

• Missy Benton
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi threeapples. They are 4" white oak. I posted some pictures in a new thread (still in the Building a Home forum).

• Missy Benton
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi threeapples. They are 4" white oak. I posted some pictures in a new thread (still in the Building a Home forum).