Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musicgal_gw

Study Location

musicgal
9 years ago

Some posts on another thread had me wondering if many new builders here planned to put in a dedicated study, and where they decided to put it. The predominant trend in our area is to position it in the front of the home, streetside- across from a small dining room.
Our study has always been a "working study" since my husband works from home. This means conference calls, and papers all over the place, and frequent trips to the coffee pot. So we decided to put the study adjacent to the kitchen, with a pocket door to shut the world out if necessary.
Do you have a study? Where did you put it?

Comments (16)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Ours is in the front of the house right off the foyer. We put a stained glass door on it, so if it is a mess, we close the door and it's still pretty in the foyer.

Neighbors have theirs off the far side of the kitchen near the laundry as it's a real working study.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

We are putting ours off the foyer too. Dh works out of the house about half the time. We even put a little hidden storage off his study for all of his records and junk that is stacked all over the bedroom (his present office) right now.

I like where you placed your study. If you are still in this house when your dh retires, your study could easily be used as another room.

• musicgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, this will be our retirement home, God willing. I've thought that room would be good for homeschooling, crafting, or sewing- he will probably never want to give that space up though:-)

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

My DH works from home and has lots of online meetings/conference calls. We live in an old house now so not a great out of the way office and because of that he wants an office as far as away from the main living spaces as possible.

I would say if you need an actual office with quiet and no disruptions like kiddos running through then figure out where in the house to get the most privacy.

• TwoBelles
    9 years ago

This is such an interesting thread, as we are in the middle of making the same decision. In our area, it is most common to have a study on the front of the home near the dining room, just like the OP. However, we don't really use that type of space. My husband often takes calls in the middle of the night and needs access to his laptop for imaging. He currently takes these calls in our room and the glare from the laptop is really annoying, especially since I'm a very light sleeper. (Probably not as annoying as actually having to wake up to take the call, but that's another story.....) So, we are building a study that is actually adjacent to our master bedroom. We are thinking that it could be used as a sitting area or exercise space by future homeowners.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Twobelles--I saw a few really nice houses on Houzz that had offices off the master like you are describing. Dh and I tossed the idea around.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

Twobelles that room off the bedroom could also be a nursery.

• runnergirl79
    9 years ago

musicgal - your study looks like a great space and allows for quick access to snacks during the day!

We've chosen a study off the foyer, like many floor plans these days seem to have. The study will also serve as our piano space. We plan to use nice French doors to close off the study space from the foyer.

• illinigirl
    9 years ago

off the foyer but the door is around the corner in a hallway that also leads to the MBR. It has a door with a transom over it. We intend to use it as a sleeping space for our special needs child so he can be close to us as our master is on the first floor. Any future owners will likely use it as a den/office/study, and that's how we planned for its location. It would also make a nice temporary nursery for a future young family.

• WaterlooStructures12
    9 years ago

Oh God that seems a bit too over-crowded!!

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Huh???

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

I think it's having the electrical plan and everything else on there.

One thing about the kitchen...the island seems to be a barrier between the range and sink. Maybe a small prep sink between the fridge and range? Just an idea :)

• musicgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lavender lass- thre's actually no island in those kitchen plans. Those dotted lines were supposed to be a ceiling feature. We did put an island and a prep sink in facing the study. So, you saw the same issue if we put in a small island that I did.
    I'm not quite sure what Waterloo meant about crowding, whether it was about other's planned uses of their study or my floorplan- but if you look at the footage measurements, the kitchen is about 14 feet across since we pushed the peninsula a foot towards the living room. Since it is "built" I can attest to the fact that it flows well without wasting too much space.
    But since this thread is about studies, and lest I digress too much... I wll post some pictures I have posted before of the kitchen space outside the study. FWIW, there is tons of clearance built into the flow spaces, even with appliances open...ie. dishwasher, fridge and oven. But again the topic was studies:-)

• musicgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another pic of the island. My Galaxy will only let me choose one file at a time.

• musicgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looking into the study from kitchen. Study built-ins.

• musicgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Standing back showing the study entrance juxtaposed with the dining booth.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals