Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lbcbuilding

What % of total cost is 'dried in?'

lbcbuilding
16 years ago

I'm just wondering how we are doing on costs (and yes, I know there is lots of variation...). We are about framed in, and have firm bids lined up for the rest of the "dried in" part (by that I mean roof on, exterior sided/bricked/trimmed, windows in, exterior doors), so I have a pretty good handle on exactly what we will have spent to get to that point. Would anyone be willing to share what % of their total (budget or actual) that portion of the build was? (excluding land, driveway, landscaping...). Thanks so much!!!!!

Comments (15)

• worthy
    16 years ago

Here is the breakdown used by the appraisal firm reporting to the National Bank of Canada:

TRADE: % completion

1. Foundation & Backfill 13

2. Beam, Post, Joist, Subfloor 6

3. Framing, Sheathing, Roof 13

4. Doors & Windows 5

5. Brick, Stucco Siding 11

6. Rough Electrical 2

7. Rough Plumbing 3

8. Heating, Ducts or Pipes 2

9. Insulation 2

1. Basement Floor 3

2. Heating Equipment 7

3. Lath, Plaster, Drywall 7

4. Finished Floor 3

5. Finished Electrical 1

6. Finished Plumbing 4

7. Finished Carpentry 11

8. Painting 5

9. Landscaping, Walks, Driveway 2

• lbcbuilding
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Looks like two data points coming in around 50%. Anyone else willing to chime in with actuals or projections?

• ideamom
    16 years ago

I'm still getting bids but looks like it will be about 50%.

• fairytalebaby
    16 years ago

Our total cost should be just under $200,000 when we're done...and we are just finishing the "dry" part of our build and I think we've spent $60-80 thousand.

• jade.d
    16 years ago

we will pay 10% at signing; 10% when footings are poured; 40% when dried in; and remaining 40% (plus any extras) on move-in

• frosmond
    16 years ago

Here is a recent blog entry about construction cost. Be sure to see the link to in the NAHB 2004 survey. While prices may have increased since 2004, this should be a good indicator of what to expect for cost on each phase of construction.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calculating Construction Costs

• jjs.sportfishing@gmail.com
    6 years ago

Not sure I get this...% of what? Do you know your total cost going in?

6 years ago

Can this be broken down to cost per sq ft?

• worthy
    6 years ago

A decade later and I'm still hanging around the cracker barrel!

Percentage of total cost is a much more accurate measure, as s. f. costs vary enormously depending on the build and what part of the US/Canada you're building in.

The percentages I first posted for an actual house financed by an actual major bank (US$155.8 b. assets) are still fairly accurate.

• robin0919
    6 years ago

Cost PSF is fantasy......

6 years ago

OK, I take your word for it but percentage of what?...if you don't know a cost estimate. So drying-in my house of 2626 sq ft is 50 % of my cost...how do I put $$$ to that ... an estimated 50% of what dollar value?

• millworkman
    6 years ago

The total cost of your build........

• worthy
    6 years ago

.......and that cost can be estimated in advance based on your sub-trade, supplier, professional and service quotes.

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Dried in is 50% of the blow your mind budget that your professional General Contractor will give you, after your Architect Designs and Specifies what the General will give you a quote to Build. No one can give costs to an imaginary structure. Just market trends. Like a verrry rough psf of $250-$450.

Lot purchase. Design. Estimate. Redesign. Reestimate. Permit. Build. Keep Building. Out of Money. Must be Done.