Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What % of total cost is 'dried in?'

Posted by lbcbuilding (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 07 at 14:39

I'm just wondering how we are doing on costs (and yes, I know there is lots of variation...). We are about framed in, and have firm bids lined up for the rest of the "dried in" part (by that I mean roof on, exterior sided/bricked/trimmed, windows in, exterior doors), so I have a pretty good handle on exactly what we will have spent to get to that point. Would anyone be willing to share what % of their total (budget or actual) that portion of the build was? (excluding land, driveway, landscaping...). Thanks so much!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What % of total cost is 'dried in?'

Here is the breakdown used by the appraisal firm reporting to the National Bank of Canada:

TRADE: % completion

1. Foundation & Backfill 13

2. Beam, Post, Joist, Subfloor 6

3. Framing, Sheathing, Roof 13

4. Doors & Windows 5

5. Brick, Stucco Siding 11

6. Rough Electrical 2

7. Rough Plumbing 3

8. Heating, Ducts or Pipes 2

9. Insulation 2

10. Basement Floor 3

11. Heating Equipment 7

12. Lath, Plaster, Drywall 7

13. Finished Floor 3

14. Finished Electrical 1

15. Finished Plumbing 4

16. Finished Carpentry 11

17. Painting 5

18. Landscaping, Walks, Driveway 2

o

for us it was about 50%, but this is something that will be determined by what you put in your house. You can easily spend two or three times the dried-in price finishing the inside. Things like all hardwood or exotic wood trim, cabinets etc, granite marble, wall finish, ceiling finish, etc. can take an interior from say $15 sq.ft. to who knows where, $100 or more per sq.ft. In other words it's really hard to say.

o

Looks like two data points coming in around 50%. Anyone else willing to chime in with actuals or projections?

o

I'm still getting bids but looks like it will be about 50%.

o

Our total cost should be just under $200,000 when we're done...and we are just finishing the "dry" part of our build and I think we've spent $60-80 thousand.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

we will pay 10% at signing; 10% when footings are poured; 40% when dried in; and remaining 40% (plus any extras) on move-in

o

Here is a recent blog entry about construction cost. Be sure to see the link to in the NAHB 2004 survey. While prices may have increased since 2004, this should be a good indicator of what to expect for cost on each phase of construction.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calculating Construction Costs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here