Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevecho

Floorplan Feedback Requested

Steve Smith
9 years ago

Hi there,
We're working on a floorplan based loosely on the Countryplans.com 2-story Universal Cottage. We've stretched it and added a 2-car garage.

This is definitely not the final draft, but we're getting close. We plan on 9-foot ceilings both floors, and floor trusses to make the utilities a little easier to run.

Full disclosure, I am asking specific advice on the kitchen in the Kitchen forum, but wanted to get general feedback on the entire plan here.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Do you have a sink in your downstairs powder room?

• mrspete
    9 years ago

With all those living room windows, you're going to have great natural light and wonderful breezes. However, I would want to see a bit of wall space for some living room storage for games, movies, etc. Also I don't like the location of the fireplace. I'd opt for a corner fireplace OR a TV over the fireplace.

I'd like to see a bit more definition at the front door.

Is that the refrigerator across from the kitchen? I don't like its location.

What is that by the stairs? I cannot tell. I hope it's a pantry!

Upstairs, the kids' rooms are very minimal, but they'll do. I'm less sure about the kids' bathroom: as small as it is, they have NO storage. I'd want to add a small laundry room that would have space for a hamper in the lower portion.

I'd also want a linen closet or some storage of some sort in the master bath.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Your master bath is a lot of square footage, but no storage.

All the bedroom closets are small - even the master, though you could put clothes rods down both sides. In the other bedrooms, you don't gain any space at all by making them walk-in - you would have MORE space for clothes if they were reach-in, but not as deep.

With plumbing at almost every corner of the house, your plumbing runs and hot water costs are going to be high.

• Steve Smith
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, so some updates --

First, yes there is going to be a vanity/sink in the downstairs powder room, not sure where it went to in the digital version :)

Thanks Mrs. Pete! Here are some thoughts on your comments:
    - I'll give some thought to the living space. The thought was the fireplace on the North wall, and the TV wall-mounted on the East wall. I thought about TV-over-fireplace, but from what I can tell, even though it's a popular option the ergonomics of it are kinda yucky and I'm not sure I'd dig a TV above the fireplace. Anyone else with thoughts on this issue?

- The refrigerator is indeed across the kitchen, but only "just" across. The "kitchen triangle" max of 26ft between the sum of all sides is well satisfied by the current arrangement. It might not be optimal, but we're working with a pretty small area. Nonetheless, I do have a separate kitchen thread going on in the Kitchen forum and will continue to work that thread and keep the fridge location in mind.

- Regarding front door definition, do you mean the definition of a distinct entryway? Just want to make sure I'm understanding.

- By the stairs will be a combination of base cabinets, a full row of uppers and a desk area. The pantry is "West" of the fridge.

- I concur regarding the space issues upstairs and think I have some ideas. The master closet is modeled after my folks' walk-in. It's cozy, but they do fit hanger rails on both sides, and with 9' ceilings, should be able to get two rows in there.

- The laundry/mud room is "West" of the kitchen and has the washer/dryer and a sink.

- The master bath is very much a work in progress. We just decided on adding 2 feet to the house and haven't yet refined the Master bed and bath.

Which brings me to AnnKH's comments
    - Agreed on the master bath (see above). We're definitely still working on that room.

- Regarding the kids' closets, I'll definitely look on incorporating the reach-in closets in lieu of the walk-in's. Definitely could save some space there!

- Regarding plumbing, I agree, it's not optimal, but I couldn't think of any better way to run things. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone for your comments!

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

I'm not big on the shower and tub in the master bath being on opposite sides of the room. I don't take baths very often, but when I do I need to rinse off after sitting in the bath water (typical, yes?) I wouldn't want to walk, wet, across the room to rinse off. It looks like if the room were just a few inches wider, they could be side by side at one end of the room. Or you could combine them into a combo space:

[Contemporary Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2103) by New York Architects & Designers Murdock Solon Architects

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

I love the Country plans website and have looked through all of those DIY homes which are pretty cool. I have drawn up one or two of the plans because we love their simplicity.

I have also given the fireplace issue a lot of thought. We had a corner fireplace in our last house, and we hated it. It was awkward for furniture placement and only figures it out when I realized at least for our space we had to de focalize the fireplace and float the furniture.

We will have a wood burning stove in the corner (probably) in our next house and then it won't mess with TV placement. Yes we like TV and we're okay with that. ;). I also wasn't really into decorating the FP mantle so I won't miss that.