Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateshome_gw

Does this seem right?

kateshome
10 years ago

Our contractor is almost finished getting bids, but he had me stop in today to go over a couple of items. We want to use hardi board siding and azek for trim around windows and doors, corner boards, and dentil molding. We were told that all of this including materials, labor, and painting will be $100,000 more than using vinyl products. The house is not large, 2,850 square feet about equal on two floors, plus a 2 car garage. Does this amount seem right?

Comments (26)

• ash6181
    10 years ago

That seems a bit high to me, but I'm sure it depends on where you're located, labor costs, etc. (also, I haven't priced vinyl). Are you in a high-cost labor market- I'm in a fairly cheap market, so my perspective may be skewed. Also, what quality of vinyl are they using for comparison? Maybe you could ask him for a breakdown of labor and materials, and see how it compares to vinyl. From what I understand installation of Hardi is more labor intensive than vinyl, and then you have the extra labor and materials involved with painting.

Does your contractor work with Hardi products typically?

Most new construction houses around here, except the very basic starter-type homes, seem to be using some type of fiber cement siding instead of vinyl. I wouldn't think that would be the case if the price was that much different. I'm interested to see what others think.

• LOTO
    10 years ago

I am building a home (Missouri) that is about the same size as yours and will be using a combination of pre-painted James Hardie Lap Siding, James Hardie Shingle Siding and James Hardie Trim Boards and my cost including install is under 40k.

• robin0919
    10 years ago

100 grand for that size house is insane!! Where are you in the country?

• kateshome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We live in western New York. Most high end builds around here use vinyl. I told our contractor I just can't use vinyl. But when the bids came in he said that's why fiber cement isn't used very much at all, the cost is just so high. I will get a breakdown of material and labor costs from him for both products. I just don't know what to now, vinyl just isn't an option for me, but $100,000 is also out of the question.

• LOTO
    10 years ago

James Hardie has a plant in PA so freight shouldn't be a huge increase...material costs shouldn't be that much higher either so that just leaves one cost where the extra is coming from......is this a union build?

• dadereni
    10 years ago

That is not a bit high. That is a lot high. Have you already signed a contract? If so, you're in a weaker position if your contract is for vinyl and you said you just can't use vinyl. He knows you really want it. For all you know, the bids could all be for a fraction of that amount.

• nini804
    10 years ago

It REALLY sounds like he wants you to use vinyl!! That is bizarre that most high end homes in your area use vinyl...here (NC), high end uses brick, stone, or stucco...or if the plan calls for clapboard siding, Hardiplank. I think he doesn't know how or want to install it. That $40,000 figure sounds more correct, but even a bit high for that size of house. Good luck...don't let him make you choose vinyl if you don't want it!

• kateshome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No we have not signed a contract. I think because he uses vinyl, even in his very high end homes, that is the route he wants to go. We are a small home for him but he said he'd like the challenge of building a home that would look like the older homes(1920-1940) in our neighborhood. He did show me quotes from two contractors for the azek. The material cost for azek is around $16,000-$20,000 and the one bid has $29,000 for the install of azek!

• robin0919
    10 years ago

Here is an idea of hardiboard cost.

http://www.vinylsidingconnect.com/manufacturers/hardie-board-siding-costs-prices/

As for the azek, it looks like it runs about $3.85/lin. foot. That is consumers price NOT GC's price. Since this is a new house and you need for all windows and not just one or two pieces, the supply house you buy from 'should' give you GC prices which is typically 20-30% less. If I were you, I would call several dealers that sell hardieboard and azek and tell them how much you might want to buy for you new house and get several quotes. They 'should' give you at least close to what the GC prices are for this amount of material.
    Someone mentioned, is this a union build?

• kateshome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, not a union build. I will be doing a lot of calling on Monday to different dealers. Thanks to all for your input so far. Will keep you posted as to what I can find out.

• LOTO
    10 years ago

I pulled out my James Hardie costs and was WAY off on what I said earlier. Material cost for a combination of James Hardie lap siding and James Hardie shingle siding is $7,867.00 and this includes trim and fasteners and labor cost is $7,125,00 for a total of $14,992.00. My home is right at 2,800 sf including the bonus room over the garage and has some large gable ends. Sounds like your contractor doesn't want to (or doesn't know how) install James Hardie.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

"GC price should be 20-30% less" where do you come up with that? 10% at the most in this day and age at the most. There is not a heck of a lot more than 30% markup to start with.

This post was edited by millworkman on Sun, May 12, 13 at 10:03

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

he said he'd like the challenge of building a home that would look like the older homes

Maybe it's in the old-time detailing on the installation? That extra trim increases labor costs.

• icedC
    10 years ago

kate-

We are building in WNY too! Our house will be a combination of brick and (somewhat sadly) vinyl. I would not call our home super high end, but a very nice 3800 sq ft home. And it is actually true, the high end builds around here DO use vinyl. My thought is this may be related to the problems with hardie in climates that see a lot of snow. Our builder (who is family and does exclusively nice custom homes) did not recommend hardie here due to the issues with it peeling and looking terrible.

All that said, your quote sounds insane! Perhaps costs here are higher, too, due to infrequent use? Strange.

Let us know what you find out.

• kateshome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOTO- where are you building? Trying to figure out if the cost is related to regional differences.

Lazygardens- I did already tell the builder we may have to look at the trim and cut back. For example - I can live without dentil molding, I really want to have a more simple look.

icedC- where in WNY are you building? Did you start yet?

• LOTO
    10 years ago

kateshome.....LOTO=Lake Of The Ozarks, Missouri

• sweet.reverie
    10 years ago

I am in Western WA and my whole house 2300 square feet is done in Hardi Shingle - much more labor intensive than lap.

Cost is $22,640 - labor and material for siding and trim. The sub is the guy who also does most of the high end homes and his attention to detail is amazing. I live in one of the highest cost of living areas in WA state.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

I can't claim much knowledge on this subject, but I'd be interested to know how that stacks up against the cost of brick.

• kateshome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mrs Pete- I did ask the GC to get a bid on brick to compare. Will let you know what it is.

Sweet reverie- I've seen the pictures of the siding on your house and it looks so nice! Your build is progressing so nicely. Wish we could get it done for your price!

• robin0919
    10 years ago

millwork...you're right. I was thinking about subs pricing and their labor. I do know for a fact that if you're on O/B and getting prices from subs they will 'try' to charge you consumer price instead of GC's price even thou someone is building a whole house and not just a small project. Their price for consumers is usually around 30-50% higher than the GC price.

• robin0919
    10 years ago

It will be interesting to see what the brick price is. I built a house around 4200sf 6 yrs ago and the total price was 36 grand(all brick) and included the piers in the crawl space. I'm in the Charlotte area. IMO.....it sounds like this GC is used to making 'allot' of money on high end houses and is trying to 'rip' you off with vinyl.!!! Vinyl is the 'cheapest' siding out there!!
    ice....that does make sense what you said.

• sweet.reverie
    10 years ago

Bottom line: from the info LOTO and I shared only on recent bids.... he is either lying or crazy :) lol

• MGDawg
    10 years ago

The estimate I got on installed Hardie products sounds absurd compared to many of you here. WeâÂÂre building a 2 story, 2800sf house with the board and batten style on all 4 sides (Hardie Panel with Hardie Trim), Hardie Trim around the windows and doors and Hardie Shakes in the gables. However, a third of the first floor area will be stone. Installed quote just for the Hardie stuff was around $70000.

• galore2112
    10 years ago

I'd ask the builder why this is so expensive.

The siding on my house is galvalume metal. Original quote for the material was $12k. When I was ready to order, I included mitered corners instead of trim, which balooned the price to $34k. I chose to go with L trim instead, saving $22k.

My lesson learned was that some seemingly simple items may cost a LOT of money so maybe there are some Hardie details in your quote that are extremely expensive but which may have a much cheaper alternative?!

• LOTO
    10 years ago

Robin0919....while your statement below might be true on many occasions it is not in my case. I am an owner/builder
    and getting General Contractor pricing from the vendors and contractors. Even if I wasn't getting GC prices the 30-50% more is unheard of in my area.

" I do know for a fact that if you're on O/B and getting prices from subs they will 'try' to charge you consumer price instead of GC's price even thou someone is building a whole house and not just a small project. Their price for consumers is usually around 30-50% higher than the GC price."

• robin0919
    10 years ago

Loto....unfortuanataly it's very common in this area. i