Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladybrowncoat

Rain & Foundations

ladybrowncoat
9 years ago

Okay, so I have what may be a rather stupid question. I tried to find an answer online but I could only find information about rain AFTER the slab is poured.

Here's the situation: We are building a one and a half story with a full basement. They poured the footers and laid some pipes for the basement rough-in and laundry. They applied a liquid water-barrier to the exterior of the foundation and backfilled to cover it. So it's just concrete poured walls and a dirt floor. It's sat for a month (waiting on permit issues) while we had rain on and off. There was a considerable amount of standing water inside on Sunday.

The plan was to pump the water out and lay gravel yesterday, the inspector would come today and the slab would be poured tomorrow.

Well, it's raining, heavily, and there's a chance of rain early tomorrow. I'm wondering if they will proceed as planned. I'm concerned that if they pour the slab with any standing water we will have problems later (EVERY basement renovation on HGTV involves water damage!). But in reading online, sometimes they water down the gravel before laying the slab, and then water the slab, to help it cure without drying out. So, now I'm confused.

I guess my questions are: how much is too much water? If there's water on the ground level, and gravel between it and the foundation will it just eventually drain or will it cause issues? And is there anything I should keep an eye out for/make sure they do?

Thank you so much in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this for me!

Comments (3)