Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
countryliving5

New poster..Floor plan review. Thanks in Adavance!

countryliving5
10 years ago

My husband and I are in the beginning stages of building our family home on 4+ acres. We have been spend hours looking for plans and have finally found one that meets most of our requirements. We would love to have another set of eyes and opinions before we take this to the builder. Our requirements.. We would like to stay under 2,400 sq/ft, we need 4 bedrooms (we have 3 young children), a large open great room, kitchen, dining space, and a separate laundry/mudroom. Here is the plan we are considering with a few modifications. http://www.architecturaldesigns.com/farmhouse-plan-4122db.asp
Right now we would have one child in the downstairs bedroom and then later finish game room as a possible toy room or bedroom.
Things that are a concern or would love suggestions on:
We would like to make the entry from the garage larger to include cubbies or storage for the children. Is this an easy change and does anyone have suggestions on the best way to do this?
An ideal situation would be to have 2 sinks in the upstairs bath, but don't know if the space would allow for this.
Is the laundry going to be inconvenient across the house from the bedrooms? Is there a way to incorporate this on the side of the house with the master?
We are dealing with a limited budget, so we know that it may be impossible to get everything exactly what we want and stay under the square footage that we need so we know we may have to sacrifice some things. We do plan on finishing the basement in the future, which will give us more options.
Thanks in advance for your reviews. We are just beginning and can use all the help we can get :).

Comments (12)

• countryliving5
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Opps should have proof read better..Advance

• chispa
    10 years ago

You will get more help if you include a live link. Those fields are placed below the "message" field when you wrote out your post. I've included it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: OP's plan

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

Where are you building? With all the porches, you're going to get very little natural light in the main level. That can be a good thing if you're in the deep South, but otherwise it might be darker than you'll be happy with.

It's a cute house, and I like the floorplan, except for the lack of natural light.

I think you could give yourself a bigger mudroom by enlarging the angled portion of the house that has the laundry room in it. I don't think that would be a major change.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

Currently, that downstairs room is a study, because it doesn't have a closet. You need to add a closet in it for it to function as a bedroom.

I agree with zone, it will be dark in the house. You could try rearranging the kitchen to get a window that doesn't look out on the front porch. Depending on the orientation of the house, that may allow more light in the kitchen.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Some thoughts
    Your Master toilet is really far away, and has a dangerous inswing door. It should be outswing or pocket. If pocket, that may affect your shower plumbing placements. If outswing, it will affect your only place to hang towels in the bathroom... Maybe you could choose no door or a pivot door (swings both ways).

I lived with a family in IA with a front porch like yours and the side porches never got used... So much so, that they turned one of them into an enclosed reading room. Consider how you'll use yours and consider if you'd rather have the space under the side wings for other things (window in kitchen; bedroom/study with closet/reading nook, etc).

It is hard to tell, but does this have a 2 story great room? Lots of info (negative) on this forum related to those. I don't think I'd do the juliet balcony either.

Consider where hungry kids are going to congregate in the kitchen. Right now, they will have to wander between the pantry and the fridge, which would probably mean, in real life, they will be RIGHT where you need to be working--between the sink and stove. See if you can't get a better flow with the pantry/kid snack area and the fridge closer to each other (might be a good reason to expand out under that side porch). Make sure they have water nearby too, without having to be in your work zone. You can visit the kitchen forum to lurk and learn until you are ready with a closer end plan (if you do decide to steal space from the side porch) then post your kitchen plan for feedback and optimization.

The laundry seems oddly placed in relation to where most laundry is made. It is a normal location for a mudroom, but maybe not ideal for laundry. Only your life and circumstances can say for sure.

• countryliving5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for all the help. Definitely some things to think about. We are building in the Midwest so light may be an issue that is a concern. Definitely going to look into adding a kitchen window, or thought of the possibility of skylights in the great room. Does anyone have any experience with this?
    We thought of getting rid of the screened in porch, but an extra outdoor entertaining area is very appealing. Our land is in the country and it can tend to be very windy so a covered outdoor area is nice.
    We are still open to switching plans if we found a better one. Does anyone have a suggestion of one that meets our criteria (under 2,400 sq ft, 4 bedroom, main floor master) that we may have missed in our research.
    Thanks again for your suggestions! They definitely were beneficial!

• nini804
    10 years ago

I wouldn't get rid of the screened porch, but maybe those other 2 porches on the back. You can put a door where that one window is in the nook to the screen porch. You will really love having a back porch to extend your living area! If you are really using that study as a bedroom, I'd lose those double doors to the foyer...it would give me hives knowing my messy children would leave those wide open for guests to see a welcoming view of all their cr@p! :)

• chicagoans
    10 years ago

I would consider moving the garage back to be even with the front wall of the laundry to eliminate the little indent outside the kitchen. Then I'd add windows along that kitchen wall.

I'd rearrange the kitchen too; I'd want the fridge near the eating nook so people can get drinks without going through the work zone or around the island, and to get it away from a wall. (Hard to open a fridge door all the way when it's by a wall.) Post your plan on the kitchens forum for some really good layout help.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

Very little direct sun will come in south windows in summer, but lots of sunlight. This is only true if you have the proper overhangs. Without the proper overhangs you will get direct sun in the summer. And shading via porches on the east and west side is very difficult to do because of how low the sun is when it is facing these sides.

Whether countryliving has more heating or cooling requirements depends on where they are building.

• jennybc
    10 years ago

A hodge-podge of thoughts...

I'm pretty sure we looked at this plan when we were trying to decide!
    The porches on the back seem closed off from each other. I would prefer to have the square footage open for entertaining. The front porches seem far from the kitchen and possibly not used nearly as much? Depending on the direction the house faces the Living area could possibly be very dark.

I do love the optional gameroom.
    Bedrooms upstairs seem small. Our two bunk together and that area would work for them but would be tight. (We plan to keep them together for the time being, allowing the other two rooms to be play room and guest rooms).
    Our upstairs bath is small like the one upstairs in your plan. However we planned larger closets to allow for desk area in them for primping/storage - to keep it out of the bathroom. I grew up with that and loved it.

The additional corners/bumpouts on the foundation will make it more expensive. Having the plumbing all over the house will be more expensive than having it generally in the same area.

12'x12'8" dining room... Our table is 4'x8' seating 6 without the extra leaves. Can be 4'x10'. Our table would not fit lengthwise in your dining room.
    We entertain a lot and need the additional seating.

We wanted: 4 bedrooms, laundry in an accessable area, large kitchen and living room area with an open concept. Vaulted section (husbands elk mount - silly but what we wanted). Plumbing generally in one area. Large closets. Must have large pantry. Wrap around porch, Country living. We are outdoors most of the time. Function was extreemly important for us. Being on a farm and using the laundry to drop clothes and be near a shower was a necessity. Wanted tall ceilings (for the feel and to help with the wrap around porches and letting light deep into the house).
    Could NOT (!!!!!) find everything we wanted in the layout that worked with our views and driveway access. So we started drawing. We were aiming for about 2400-2500sq ft. We saved on keeping the foundation square, rooflines simple, and sub contracting out ourselves. We are dried in now and working on electrical and plumbing. :) Example of what we did.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=jennybc%20gardenweb%20&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CD4QrAIwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fths.gardenweb.com%2Fforums%2Fload%2Fbuild%2Fmsg0309084529850.html&ei=h0-fUcr7NYTc9QSFr4GwDQ&usg=AFQjCNFF3KXs5DfVIteq3OJlLSfsm5bNcw

Didn't purchase plans. Bonus! Did have someone review the specs for beams and lengths for vaulted area, and roof support.

I have to disagree with rosies:
    "And above all, wrap-around porches make the interior rooms gloomy all year, not just shadowy in summer, requiring artificial lighting all day long/all year long."

No offense.

There are so many reasons I think the statement is wrong I don't know where to begin. A house in the woods can be gloomy with no porches. A house with few windows is gloomy.
    I would say how the land lays in relationship to how sun rises and sets through the seasons AND the layout of the house in is much more improtant in determining the gloom factor. IMO

I knew I wanted bright light in my kitchen in the morning. So I made sure the kitchen was on the back... etc. Keep these things in mind.

• harper11
    7 years ago

This is an old thread, but my husband and I are seriously considering this plan. It's the Whitfield by W.L. Martin. I thought if I added the designer's name, maybe this would pop up if someone Google searches it, and they might be so kind as to share pictures if they have built it. There are quite a few pictures of it on the Architectural Designs website, but I am unable to ask questions about what changes they made to the design. Has anyone built this recently?

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH