Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tad0422

Request for Feedback on Floor Plan

tad0422
9 years ago

I am looking for opinions and insight on a modified version of this floor plan.

Orginal Floor Plan:
http://www.monsterhouseplans.com/cottage-style-house-plans-2091-square-foot-home-1-story-3-bedroom-and-2-bath-2-garage-stalls-by-monster-house-plans-plan61-102.html

Modified Floor Plan:

Comments (3)

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

I think you'll want windows on the right side wall of the BR that's next to the covered patio. Right now the only windows look out to the patio and since it's covered, I think that room might be dark. (Or skip the windows to the patio and re-orient the room so the head of the bed is on that wall, then put the big windows on the right side wall.)

I'm not a big fan of being able to see the master bed from all the way across the house, but that might not bother you. Just something to consider.

You might get more help if you can give us some information about who will be living here, whether there is a view to take advantage of, any lot restrictions, etc.

• tad0422
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@chicagoans

You make an excellent point about that bedroom. I will definitely make that change in my next revision.

Having the master so close to the kitchen has been a slight concern of mine but with our budget I don't think we can add more space between the two. Will ponder over this some more...

As for more info:

Currently it is my wife and her disabled brother (blind). We do plan on having a few kids after we build the home (at least that is the current plan). We are also wanting a unfinished basement to add on square footage later.

And I can pretty much guarantee we will be having my wife's parents living in the basement in the next 5 years after build is complete. The recession pretty much wiped out all there life savings so I need to be prepared to have space for them (thus the unfinished basement).

We are still searching for the perfect lot but we just fell in love with this floorplan. We will probably build on 1-2 acres in middle TN. As for budget, we would like to keep it around 300k with moderate finishes around the home (i.e wood flooring, basic carpet in bedrooms, no crown molding) with most of the money going towards the kitchen. We would rather spend our money on things in the home that will be very hard/expensive to change later.

Thank you for your input!

• Michelle
    9 years ago

Personally, I wouldn't spend a lot of time on a floor plan until you find a lot.