Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellyeng

Do you know what % of draws were taken and when?

kellyeng
16 years ago

My builder originally said that our build would take 6 to 8 months. We are now in month 12 (just received a 3 month extension from the bank) and I want to figure out how much over we have spent on interest payments. This is just for my own enjoyment (haha) and I'm not planning on using it in any way so I'm just trying to find a ballpark figure.

So what I am looking for is something like: month one - 10%, month two - 20%, month three 40% and so on. Don't some banks have a requirement for when and how much a draw can be taken?

TIA

-k

Comments (7)

• amyks
    16 years ago

Hi Kelly. I hope this is what you are looking for:

Deposit 10%

Draw 1 10% : When lot is cleared and rough graded, footings and foundation walls complete, bldg permit rec'd and survey complete.

Draw 2 20%: When outside and inside walls are in place, sheething complete and roofing set.

Draw 3 15%: When plumbing, heating and wiring are roughed in, windows, doors set, roof complete.

Draw 4 15%: When basement slab is poured, outside house material in place, walls insulated, sheetrock complete.

Draw 5 20%: When interior/exterior trim complete, bath floor and wall tile in place,kitchen cabs, plumbing fixtures, sewer and water done, hvac units set.

Draw 6 10 %: When electric complete, floor finishes, and Use and Occupancy permit received.

Hope this helps. Before each draw they have the bank inspector come out to make sure the work required is done (not to be confused with an inspector that makes sure the work is done correctly!). They then send me a draw request and I approve it and they wire the money.

Good luck!

Amy

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

This is what our draws looked like:
    Draw 1 - 3% Permits, plans, Excavation
    Draw 2 - 7% Foundation
    Draw 3 - 5% Subfloor, 7% Rough framing, 6% Plumbing rough-in, 3% Basement & Garage floor
    Draw 4 - 4% Windows set,3% Roof sheathing, 4% Wall sheating, 3% Trusses, 3% Roof sheathing, 4% Roofing
    Draw 5 - 3% Mechanical heating, 2% Electrical rough-in, 3% Fireplace/woodstove
    Draw 6 - 5% Siding, 1% Gutters, 2% Insulation, 2% Exterior doors & garage, 1% Exterior painting
    Draw 7 - 4% Cabinets, 4% Interior trim, 1% Decks, porches
    Draw 8 - 2% Vinyl, tile, 2% Hardwood, 1% Interior paint, 2% Plumbing fixtures, 1% Electrical fixtures
    Draw 9 - 2% Applicances, 2% Hardware, rail, mirrors, 4% Carpet, 1% Exterior concrete

• kellyeng
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you both for your help.

Based on a loose estimate I think I will have paid about $7400 OVER (IF we close in July) than if we had been able to close after 8 months of construction.

Nice . . .

• charliedawg
    16 years ago

$7400...OUCH! that burns. :(

• kats
    16 years ago

kelleng,

I know it doesn't help much but keep telling yourself that $7400k is a drop in the bucket when you think of what you're getting.

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

It's probably not much consolation, but you might have a nice tax refund next year......

(We live in a state that has 8.4% sales tax - that was charged based on the total cost of our home - ouch).

However, we got a nice tax refund (due to that large sales tax deduction) and are taking a trip to Ireland with it.

• beachlily z9a
    16 years ago

Well, folks, when I was a banker, I was the one doing inspections. No one else wanted to get their feet dirty. When we built, we were our own bank. The builder wasn't comfortable with that! He wanted money? Show me the receipts, bud. He was such a small builder that we purchased much of our stuff from Lowe's and H.D. Didn't have anyone else to blame if the stuff didn't work. Actually it worked out fine. Love the home and its quality is way above average even if it is rather small. Just the way we like it.