Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladybrowncoat

Pre-Wire for Hot Tub?

ladybrowncoat
9 years ago

My husband and I plan to install a hot tub (hopefully within 5 years of building our home). It seems we'll need special wiring, although exactly what seems to differ between the various models (some are "plug and play," but higher end models seem to need additional voltage). I have no idea what our electrical system will entail but I feel like modern homes would have enough electrical service to handle the additional load, right?

We have already begun construction, and now I'm wondering if it would be easier/cheaper to create a change order to run wiring for the tub in advance? And if so, would we need to run a line from the service panel outside? Put in another receptacle near where the tub will be? Or is it better to just hire an electrician once we purchase the tub and run everything then? Or am I just over-thinking this?

I have learned through this process that the best thing to do is plan, plan, plan... so I'm trying to make life easier for future mr&mrs browncoat, but on this I'm stumped.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012