Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kat81_gw

Floor plan review

kat81
10 years ago

So i think we are done with our floor plan. Its pretty simple house that i think has everything we need. Our drafter is waiting for us to confirm it before he prints out all the sets.What do you all think?

Comments (5)

• kat81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here is outside, it will be brick with stucco columns

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

An in-swing door on a WC is dangerous and your master's WC should be switched to an outswing (so it swings against your angled wall).

If it were me, I'd make the closet door of the room to the right of the foyer be a pocket door (with the pocket located in the wall behind the linen closet) so that you don't take up closet floor and wall space with the door. I'd probably consider doing the same in the pantry with those doors, but only you can decide that... The answer for those doors will depend on how you plan to attach your shelving to the pantry walls.

• ZGAnderson
    10 years ago

My draftsman recommended using 6" walls for pocket doors if you still need the flexibility for screwing in shelving/cabinets etc.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

I think the same thing I thought before: the main rooms are nicely laid out and of a comfortable size, but the working-rooms have some serious issues:

- The master closet isn't large enough to support an island. The spaces drawn on the plan are the clorthes rods, and they do not allow for the clothes that will protrude past the rod. You will have less than a foot of walking space.
    - The mudroom is not functional because 1) it's too narrow; when you and the kids enter, the people in the back will be trapped by the people in front as theystop to drop off their things and 2) anytime you walk through a door, you need a window or other door in front of you to feel comfortable -- you're going to be looking at a windowless wall.
    - The zig-zag pantry is a functional mistake.
    - You have plenty of space to make the mudroom and pantry very nice, but at this point these rooms are far from ideal.

• rosie
    10 years ago

I agree with Mrs. Pete in that I believe there will be frequent circular flow through the utility spaces, bedroom hall, living areas. (Thank goodness I took feet off my sitting and powder rooms for a hall or we'd both be short-cutting through them both constantly. At the time I only worried about DH.)

If it were mine, I'd be perfectly happy heading for the kitchen via the garage entry, laundry, and pantry, but I'd want this path simplified to eliminate most extra steps and all bumped shoulders, flowing both smoothly and prettily in a utilitarian way. By pretty, I'm thinking that I'd expect doors to be open most of the time, so I would sacrifice a bit as necessary to create attractive views through the doorways. After all, this would be the real main entry.