Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melstopes

exterior feedback

melstopes
10 years ago

So, after reading all the input on the thread this weekend, architects, really? I'd like some feedback on the exterior of our house plan and possible exterior colors?

Comments (12)

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

I'm not one of the experts here, but over all I like it.

My only question-- why is the stone a different height on each section? I think it would look better if you kept it at foundation height on all three. The high stone wall on the right I would definitely lower.

I assume that the structure on the right is your garage. How will guests approach the house? Will they need to walk around the garage, or is the front of the garage even with the front porch? What about the other side? Front elevations don't show depth, so it's hard to really see what's going on with just that image.

• melstopes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Zone4 - i'll post the first floor plan below, but the area to the right is the master closet and a bath off the study, that's why the windows are smaller, I guess we could put larger windows in there and pull the stone down? any other thoughts?

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

I think you should pull the stone down whether you make the windows bigger or not. Having the stone so high makes that chunk of the house look odd, IMO.

• ash6181
    10 years ago

I really like your plan. It is a nice traditional style with nice symmetry. I don't think this kind of house ever goes out of style or looks dated.

I agree with others about the stone. However, I am dealing with this same situation with small windows in my master closet area. They look strange when I drop the level of the stone, but everyone agrees the stone should be dropped. I'm not sure what we will ultimately end up doing. I don't really want to make the windows larger, but we'll see. I think in your situation making the windows larger will only improve the symmetry.

Do you have any possibilities for exterior colors? Do you have neighbors to consider or a HOA to please? I personally love this style of house with white siding. If you go that route I think a gray-toned stone and a charcoal roof would look great. I think it would be hard to go wrong with color, though- I think it would look great in a lot of different colors.

• AllieBr8
    10 years ago

A beautiful home!!! Love it! I agree about the foundation stone! Make it all line up.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I agree about the stone. I would try out a small oval window in the front-facing gable and see how it looked: it's a traditional detail.

The panes of the windows on the right are getting a bit small. You may want to try two over two in those to get a proportion similar to the other windows. This is also a traditional detail: my building is 6/9, 6/6, 6/6, and 3/3 as the floors go up to give the panes in each window a similar proportion and scale. The windows get smaller but they read "similar" because of this detail. (It was built in 1840).

• nini804
    10 years ago

I would do white as well...it seems to go best with your classic details. Very pretty house, my favorite style! Also agree about lowering the stone & making the windows symmetrical.

• melstopes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So we've considered white, but feel it would need shutters? What's the general consensus on a white house without shutters?

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

I think it would be beautiful in white-- no shutters needed! I don't think you have room for shutters anyhow.

My one pet peeve about white houses: how long/snowy is your area? Around here there are a LOT of white houses, and they look great the 6 months of the year everything isn't covered in snow, but the other half of the year, the ground and the roof are white too, and the house essentially disappears.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

You don't have room in some locations for properly sized shutters without them overlapping or hitting and obstruction. With traditionally hung operable shutters, they often Do over lap or only fold back part way before hitting a corner or a gutter, but you would not do this intentionally in most modern builds.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Placing projecting wings too tightly against a main house structure is a common modern design mistake.

Rainwater from the roofs of the wings will be channeled into a sharp V before it passes onto the porch roof. This will cause problems at the V and porch roof downspout unless soldered flat seam copper or stainless steel is used.

If the project is in a cold climate the problems will be even greater.

Foundation stonework belongs below the watertable on a traditional house.

• melstopes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So we are in NC, no worries about a lot of snow or very cold winters. I understand about the lack of room for shutters, it's why I've debated with the white. I've wondered about a putty color with white trim??

Thanks for the feedback on the stone/right section. I'm thinking the stone will come down to foundation and we will put in longer windows in those spaces.