Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djdoggone

Everlast Siding?

djdoggone
11 years ago

Has anyone installed Everlast siding?

At 65 Hubby doesn't want to sign on for the maintenance involved with wood siding so we are looking at alternatives. A friend has told us about Everlast because it is butt-joined and looks more like traditional clapboard.

Anyone have anything to share about this siding?

Thanks, Deb

Comments (9)

• djdoggone
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Renovator8. I can always count on you for good advice. (Our windows -- we stuck with the Marvin Ultimates because, though we could have gone more efficient, we couldn't have gone nicer -- have been planned/sized based on your very keen wisdom.)

A neighbor had the product installed last year because his wife's brother was familiar with it. He likes the product but was not impressed with the installation. It looks good because it isn't shiny and doesn't overlap and parts fit together like wood -- no J Channel -- but it does require special flashing at joints, as you said. The promotional literature says it is a mixture of resins and ground rock so it is doesn't expand and contract like PVC and is not susceptible to moisture like cement board. But, as with anything, installation is all important. We are looking into whether or not we can install the product ourselves.

We have looked at the promotional literature for the new Marvin fiberglass siding, Apex. I love the fact that they have incorporated a rain plane as part of the system but it doesn't look as though it would mimic traditional architecture very well. The promotional photos are of modern houses -- not a Cape Cod piece of trim in sight -- which suit the narrow trim. We will have to find out more to figure out if our little cottage could be decked out in fiberglass garb. Also, Marvin has chosen to highlight its product difference by providing only bold -- and I do mean BOLD -- colors, which aren't the least bit suitable for our setting.

Do you know of another low-maintenance product that we might investigate? The gentleman at the building supply center from whom we will buy our windows has suggested Certainteed Cedar Impressions shake siding. He very kindly invited us to his home to see it in situ. It does look better than other vinyl sidings but it still suffers from PVC's weaknesses. But he did a lovely job of marrying it with his Cape trim in Azek. From the catalogue I thought to get the driftwood colored siding because it is a blended color but it is only available in the 7' shakes which are too large for our compact cottage.

Regards, Deb

• erineve
    11 years ago

Deb, we've been looking at apex & everlast and are undecided. what did you end up going with?

• djdoggone
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We've decided on the Apex siding, which will go on this summer. Marvin has offered to help us through the installation. Thank goodness! Is is very pricey but we only have 846 s.f. of house.

Though we like the look of the Everlast -- in our opinion the best look-alike -- we are concerned about a system which requires caulk to maintain water-tightness. Will it hold up for decades? especially as we will be in our late 80's at that time and not up to major re-caulking. Renovator8 was wise in his cautions; flashing is critical.

We have elected Apex because it has a built in water plane and requires no maintenance but it will not be pretty. I grew up on Cape Cod in the 50's, with weather-beaten shingles and white trim and shrub roses. That is my idea of beautiful. But you have to be prepared to replace rotting wood. Unfortunately, that is now beyond our financial and physical capabilities. Getting old is not for whips.

• ribidibi
    10 years ago

Hi, djdoggone. Did you do the Apex siding? We are going to be using it on our 1904 Victorian in the Jamaica Plain part of Boston. We're not using their trim, though... with the pvc color trim (EX-Cel by Jain), it looks like clapboard and wood trim. Was wondering how your project came out. I hear you on the painting... no more for us...
    Smiles... Ri

• LilGoose
    9 years ago

I first saw this product at a home show in the Boston area and the product looks impressive. Unlike the fiber cement siding the I have seen peeling on my neighbor's house, this stuff has no wood. Also, I like that it doesn't need caulking because I have seen where the caulking discolors and looks really obvious on some houses.I did ask about the butt joints and they said that a flashing is installed behind.

Since then I have driven by a few houses with this installed and it looks really good. I am not quite ready to do it, but when I do reside my house, I think this is a good option.

• mnovak99
    9 years ago

After a lot of research Everlast siding looked like the best option to me. My job was completed last month. You can see before and after pics over in this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/remodel/msg1213433917003.html

• Jerome Phipps
    last year

We did our home in Everlast Siding in 2019 and have no regrets. I feel as though the product has matured over time. It has now seen 3 Western PA. winters and done every well. If it performs as stated, then it will outlast Hardie and require less maintenance.

• Drew Claire
    last year

Looks great! what color and width of everlast did you use?