Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
khoene

Please help with first draft floorplans!

khoene
9 years ago

Hello all,
We've been reading GW for a year or two now developing ideas for our future home. What an amazing resource and thanks in advance to all that offer any ideas! Please feel free to shred these plans and offer any honest feedback. We're prepared to start from scratch if needed.

Our lot is a 2 acre lot with trees and a pond in the back. The lot falls off about 6-8 ft over a length of 30 ft on the right side of the lot so I think we can do a walkout basement on the right side of the house (not to the back). The back of the house faces north (right faces east). We want to do a side-entry 3 car garage. We want a modern/contemporary looking house with flatter roof lines and lots of windows. The SF is currently about 3900 SF for the main and second floors for the way the plans are drawn now. If possible, we'd like to get down to about 3500 SF.

We like the idea of the great room and dining area in the back of the house with a lot of picture windows to take advantage of our nice view. My wife also wants an open feel to the kitchen, a long and narrow pantry, and a dining area adjacent to the kitchen (no formal dining room). She cooks quite a bit and plans on getting a high-end refrigerator and double range. We also like the idea of our master closet between the great room and master bedroom so we can hide all the A/V equipment for each room (and possibly for the TV on the covered patio) in the master closet but would consider other ideas as well. The covered patio will have a bar, built-in grill, and a table/fire pit to eat/drink at. Our office will be on the main floor also. We'll need a pool house for a bathroom for pool users and area to store pool materials. Our thought is it would be less expensive to build a pool house off the back of the house (probably back of garage so it doesn't mess with view from the great room or dining area) instead of a detached pool house. We want a garage entry into the combined mudroom/laundry room with a cubby in the mudroom for each family member. My wife would like a rod to hang wet clothes and drying racks that extend from the wall. A friend has two doors from the garage - one for our family to use that goes through the mudroom/laundry room and another door for friends and family that enters into a small entry then to kitchen or directly into kitchen. We like that idea. We see advantages to combining the mudroom and laundry room, but also see advantages to having the laundry room separate and closer to the master bedroom. Thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.

We were unsure where to position the staircase and what type. We saw a picture of an open staircase on Houzz that doubles back that we liked but weren't sure about other options. We squeezed the coat closet and powder room into the office area but are open to suggestions. The sitting area off the master bedroom isn't a priority for us. We just put it there since we had so much room for the master suite. The master closet is pretty long, but remember that we plan to store A/V equipment in there for the TV in the great room, the TV in the master bedroom, and the TV on the patio so we can have that clean look of only a TV on the wall with no entertainment center.

The second floor will have my 2 daughters' (aged 5 and 6) bedrooms and my son's (almost 2) bedroom. We're liking the idea of a Jack N Jill closet for our girls since they share a lot of clothes. We'd like a full bathroom (shower only, no tub) for our son with a door from the hallway (and probably a door directly to his room). We are thinking that the great room on the main floor should only be one story and possibly sunken about one foot. If the great room is only one story, that would give us enough room on the second floor for a playroom/TV room for the kids.

We plan to finish the basement. We want a home theater (opposite side of the walkout and roughly 15 wide x 23 deep), smaller bar with wall area for large TV behind bar, open area for a ping pong table (close enough to bar area to easily see TV), exercise room(French doors from open area of basement), half bathroom, mechanical room, and some room for storage. I'll include plans for the basement for suggestions after we figure out the main floor configuration.

Fire away and thanks again!!!

Comments (10)

• khoene
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's a jpg of the second floor. Thanks.

• HAWKEYES
    9 years ago

Thats the longest master closet I've ever seen. I'd steal some of the square footage from there and make your great room bigger.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Your plans are upside down. Can you flip them? Even when I open them in a new window they are upside down.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

I can't read the drawings well enough to comment on the layout but if the lower stair run is shorter than the upper one, the landing will be lower and will look better on the entry foyer.

• khoene
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, thank you and I will figure out a way to post pictures of the floor plan that are clearer (and right side up!) and repost.

• robynstamps
    9 years ago

My vote is for no sunken living room. :)

• robin0919
    9 years ago

Sunken living room? Seriously?? That dates back to the 50-60's. That'll be nothing but trips and falls.

• musicgal
    9 years ago

I like the sunken living room. If I have one regret about our new build is that we didn't sink it as much as we wanted.

• musicgal
    9 years ago

deleted duplicate post-

{{gwi:1443327}}

This post was edited by musicgal on Fri, May 16, 14 at 23:10

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I'm having trouble reading the details on the plan, so I can't comment on everything, but here are my thoughts on what I can see:

- The first thing that jumps out at me is that I hate the kitchen island. It's like the island is escaping from the kitchen! You have an important walkway running horizontally through the middle of the house, and the island is interrupting it. This will be a constant irritation. I'd make the kitchen into an L and turn the island the other direction. You can still have island seating. This'll echo the direction of the walkway and enhance it rather than being a problem.

- I'd add an extra foot to the width of the pantry. You have storage on only one side of the long, narrow pantry, which means you have essentially the storage of a reach-in . . . but you're using the square footage of a walk-in. One extra foot would literally double the storage space in your pantry. I'd also consider adding a pass-through door to the kitchen.

- I vote absolutely NO sunken anything. It's an accident waiting to happen.

- You say you're looking for square footage to cut. I would cut off the sitting room behind the master bedroom and some of the master bedroom closet. You have an office and another room I can't identify right there by the master, so I think you have a spot for one adult to sit and do something while the other is sleeping -- this is space that you will never miss. And the closet, even with TV/accessories, is larger than some NY City studio apartments! The other thing I'd cut is the kids' playroom upstairs. They each have their own generous-sized rooms, and they have space a-plenty to hang out and play.

- Having addressed your concerns about cutting square footage, I've gotta say that I'd consider adding some space to your great room. You have a large kitchen and dining area . . . and beside them, this great room looks like a pretty good room.

- I lived in a house once that had a jack-and-jill closet, and it worked well. In our case, it was a walk-through closet with hanging space on each side. One room was a child's bedroom, while the other bedroom was a guest room. This arrangement allowed the child to have an extra-sized closet . . . yet if the guest room had ever become "someone's", a closet would've been available. And, of course, we kids loved to use it as a pass-through.

- I'd consider losing your son's bathrooms' exterior door. The only people who would be upstairs would be the kids' friends, and they'd walk through the bedroom of their friend to reach the bathroom. It's not that large a bathroom, and two doors take up too much space.

This post was edited by MrsPete on Sat, May 17, 14 at 7:40