Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for installing bifold doors in a wide opening

Posted by macvirtualasst (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 12:36

Hello everyone,

Our closet door openings are 44" and 49" respectively (thanks to careless builders). We bought two 36" doors with the intent to frame out the sides and header so we could install the doors. However, not too keen on ripping boards to fit and using a table saw. Is that the only option? I had an idea to use pieces of 2x4's as shims and then cover up the gaps with curtains, but hubby doesn't like that idea. I am at the point where I feel like returning the closet doors and putting up curtains :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for installing bifold doors in a wide opening

the other option is to go to a lumberyard and have bifold units made to order utilizing stock size door slabs For example you could use to 20" doors and only have to pake the opening in 2" for the 44" opening and 22" doors or rip the stiles on 24" doors to fit the 49" opening.

o
RE: Ideas for installing bifold doors in a wide opening

Hi and thank you. In the end, we decided to use curtains instead of doors, both to save money and for convenience...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here