Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peytonrose1015

Found a house I love

ILoveRed
11 years ago

Haven't gotten around to hiring an architect yet, maybe because because I really do not quite know what I want yet. But I found a "partial" picture of a house I love.

Can't quite put my finger on what it is that I love about this house since the picture has so little detail.

What can those of you "in the know" tell me about this house from this picture.

Thanks!

Red

Comments (21)

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

The curves? That's what I like...the curve over the door, the curved stair detail on the porch, the way the roof slopes down over the porch...even the round columns, round shrubs and curved front walk. Curves are elegant and graceful...and when combined with the linear elements (upright columns, horizontal and vertical lines of the railing, the tall windows, even the lines of yellow flowers) it's all quite charming! I think the combination of shingles and rock is always appealing, too. Nice picture! :)

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

Where did you find that picture? Pretty sure (almost positive because I stalk that house ;) that house is 3 doors down from my parents in Atlanta. Wish I could see more. . .

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

Yep. Just looked on the satellite google picture and that has to be it - the stone work at the front is identical, down to the landing in front of the front stairs.

The house is *beautiful* in real life - I have always loved it!

• nini804
    11 years ago

Is the whole house cedar shake, painted white, Athensmom? Such a gorgeous texture!

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

It is cedar shake painted white, except there is a friends porch area between the main house and the garage which is fieldstone, and then there is a little area on the garage that is fieldstone - and the water table is fieldstone of course ;) It is a long house, like mine, but flipped - so the garage is as you approach, then friends porch and then main house. I think the master is on the far side like mine with the bathroom on the front like ours as well. . .

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Athensmom-it is by the same architects that did the house that I live in now, so I am sure you are right. But, this is the only picture that I could find on their FB page. I would love to see more pics. Your description is making my heart race!

Do you think if I called them they would send me pics even though it's a private home? Can you actually see the house on google satellite?

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Athensmom-is it a two story, one and a half?

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

It is one and a half story. I don't know if they would send you pics or not. I don't know them - they built that house after I moved out.

You can see the house on google satellite but not from head on. Just the roof, some of the front, etc. I used to have a picture of it but the computer it was on crashed. I showed it to the lady in charge of our ARB in our new house and they said no you can't build anything like that so I never took another.

Are you in Atlanta?

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, I am in il believe or not but I built a Spitzmiller & Norris house.

I called them today and they sent me several pictures of this house including the interior. You are right. It is beautiful.

Can't believe it's so close to your parents.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

What a small GW world!

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

Same house though? With the fieldstone friends porch? I'll have to check their facebook photos out!

• etr2002
    11 years ago

What is the name of this house plan?

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Can you post any of the other pictures?

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The email specifically had a blurb on the bottom about not sharing, disseminating, publishing, you get the drift...any of the pictures. So I better not. Wish I could.

I'm not sure yet that this house is one of their stock plans. So don't know if it has a name. More details later in the week.

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

If it is, in fact, the same home, it is not a stock plan - it is a custom home. I remember seeing their sign in the yard while it was under construction.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And if I decided to use them again, I would use this as my inspiration house--I haven't even seen the floor plan. But, I'm sure it wouldn't suit my family.

But, what a lovely inspiration house.

Athensmom, the architecture in Atlanta must be fun to stalk :-)

• nini804
    11 years ago

Oh, I wish I could see it all...so very gorgeous and different! I love that type of 1.5 story house...I call them "low country style." (i don't think that is the formal architectural term, though!) We seriously considered that style when we were planning, as we only have 2 children and didn't need an enormous upstairs, just 2 bedrooms, 2 baths and a playroom (master and guest downstairs) but our Georgian suited our lot better since it is just shy of 1/2 acre...the low country style ate up too much yard for the same sq footage!

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nini's--didn't hear from them today. Looking forward to seeing the floor plan and seeing if it even appeals to me at all.

We don't want a huge house either. We'll be empty nesters in about 8 yrs probably.

I love your house. It is gorgeous, especially your kitchen.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Athensmomof3--purchased study plan of this house. It is quite large (too large (IMHO) but dh doesn't think so. It's one of those houses that fools you with the size. Dh loves it more than I do to be honest i think. It would need tweaking, but could be easily done. Very nice floor plan.

Not feeling the friends porch with the fieldstone and the arches. They somehow don't feel right with the house. You have seen the house in person---- is the friends porch prettier in person. Maybe the picture I received of the full front view is just not a very good picture.

Plus, the ceilings are 12 ft high on the first floor. Not sure if dropping them to 10 would ruin the look of the house. I would not build a house with 12 ft ceilings.

You didn't happen to find the picture you had of the house did you?

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

I haven't found the picture but the house is swoon-worthy :) My husband has been obsessed. It is big - but probably like ours - long but not deep. I will look again or take one for you when I am in Atlanta next. I almost did last week but didn't know if you needed it. I would need a place to send it though - don't feel comfortable posting on internet since they are 3 doors down from my parents and they are friends. They are quite a bit younger - have a rope swing in the yard for their kids - but it is SUCH a pretty house.

My husband insisted we show it to the head of our ARB, convinced she would never deny us because it was so beautiful. She did ;)

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Athensmom-

I suspect the pictures that I got are old and poor quality, since you think the house is swoon worthy. I wish I could see it in person.

If you could get some pics for me I would so appreciate it. I will change my settings so that you can email me through GW, then i will give you my email address. If you want to see the floor plan, then I can email it to you. It has 2 staircases.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm getting excited about the house again.