Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Weight-bearing of cabinet knobs......

threeapples
10 years ago

I'm thinking of using Baldwin's crystal mushroom knobs, which are 1 3/8" in diameter, for my closet. There are some 8 ft high doors in there and, now that I read Baldwin's disclaimer about these not being intended for weight bearing and heavy use applications, I am hesitant. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Comments (10)

• worthy
    10 years ago

I can't find that exclusion on this Warranty. It would seem that a doorknob used as a doorknob in a home should not be considered a "heavy use" application unless the warranty were more precise.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Maybe you can contact them to see what this means. But it might be better to use a full sized doorknob mounted as a dummy on a spindle rather than a cabinet knob on such large doors.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well the stiles, or is it rails, on these are not very wide because they are glass doors, so a regular doorknob mounted as a dummy will not work. I'll have to contact Baldwin I guess.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Baldwin said to use all products at my discretion and that I should think about the amount of use they closet doors would get. Uggh. What's the worst that could happen? Could the door get damaged?

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

No, I think they are probably saying the crystal will come loose on the knob.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

I agree with Pal. I suspect you'll end up needing to re-glue the crystal. Or, replacing it later. Are they very expensive if it comes to that?

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

$13 a piece. If I needed to replace them at some point would the act of taking them out and putting another knob in cause the hole in the wood to be too large and, therefore make the new knobs wobbly? Sorry for the silly questions.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

No, changing hardware isn't usually a big deal, because the screw passes Through the door and holds the threads in the Knob, but I would probably just use metal knobs and call it done.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Not if they are attached like a cabinet knob.

I just wonder if you'll like the overall appearance? 1 3/8" isn't a large "knob" visually for a very large door...

Also, what kind of door, exactly? I have a "split bifold" for my closet entry door on pivot hinges. They open very easily with no resistance, really. And, close to a neutral position without having to really pull on them either. Perhaps your hardware will help you out with your problem.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe Ill just do the crystal on the dresser-vanity like unit they built in there. Is it ok to mix if all pieces are connected?