Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

Fluorescent or recessed cans in kitchen

bridget helm
10 years ago

I know that recessed can is the "in" way to go in the kitchen with island pendants and breakfast room chandelier or semi flush, but I'm used to fluorescent in place of the cans in the kitchen. Does the kitchen "light up" the same with recessed? I wonder how I would like cooking without the bright fluorescent. Right now we have a mondernish/transitional kitchen with a fluorescent that is nice looking if you like modern. I use Reaveal soft bulbs in it - so that it's a pleasing light rather than a commercial feeling light.

We will be builiding a similar kitchen with the same cabinet pulls. will hav e 10 foot rather than 9 in the new kitchen as well as taller cabinets and a counter depth fridge. I'm not sure if i want an island or if i want a peninsula. it depends on the floorplan that the architect comes up with.

anyway, here's our kitchen now

this is the fixture up close
{{gwi:1442663}}

i will try to find something similar to what we have now to go over breakfast table (seeded glass over frosted semiflush)

i will not do the little track lights again

Comments (6)

• worthy
    10 years ago

My concern is less the method of lighting, than the function of all house lighting--ambient, task and accent.

As you obviously realize, your current kitchen could be improved functionally and design wise. For instance, the lighting over the dining table is far too high and offset. Accent lighting over the cabinets should be up--that is, mounted on the tops of the cabinets-- with soft flourescents.

My personal preference is dark colours and subdued lighting. So we have primarilly used task lighting under cabinets (flourescent) and over the cooktop (hologen spots and floods). The primary function of ambient lighting via halogen spots was for showing the houses off when they were being sold.

I trust your designer will specify something more dramatic in terms of lighting than you have now.

Good luck with your redo!

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Fluorescent lighting is diffused and is appropriate when even general lighting is needed in all parts of a space but cannot put strong focused lighting on work surfaces like counters, islands, stoves and sinks.

When such fluorescent fixtures are placed in the center of a kitchen ceiling, the light is at your back when you are working at a perimeter counter or sink so you are often forced to work in you own shadow.

Of course, recessed lights can be fluorescent with reflectors and placed where they light task areas instead of empty floor space but they still don't throw as much light on work surfaces as line voltage halogen, low voltage halogen or LED fixtures do and they are expensive.

Also, IMO the color of food and the skin of people is not attractive under any kind of fluorescent lighting.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for your pointers. the fixture above the table is centered, but i crammed the table up against the window because the space is too small for chairs on both sides, so now it looks off center. (it was a spec house that we customized a little along the way.)

it is the function that i'm thinking about, and i like my kitchens bright, but the designer will help. i'm sure they will steer me away from flourescent

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

In your kitchen in the photo, fluorescents would make a good continuous uplight if installed on the tops of all of the upper cabinets. This would provide a balanced ambient lighting level. It would be much more pleasing to the eye and much more effective for ambient lighting than the single surface mounted fluorescent fixture illustrated. Fluorescent lights are available in many temperatures from very warm to very cool.

You will still need task lighting (such as lights on the bottom of the upper cabinets to light the countertops) and something for accents such as dropped pendants where appropriate. Recessed ceiling fixtures positioned to illuminate the counters are an alternative to lights installed on the bottom of the upper cabinets.

Lighting design is very important and takes a skilled, experienced professional. You can do much better than the lighting illustrated in the photo. It really is an example of what not to do.

Good luck with your project.

• cz_scrap
    10 years ago

We have the recessed cans with led light bulbs in them-gives us lots of light.

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

LED recessed