Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momto3kiddos

Help getting house dry enough to finish floors

momto3kiddos
10 years ago

We are building a house with a sealed crawl and the sealing will be done next week. We waited until free the hvac, electricians and plumbers completed so the vapor barrier would not get damaged. The hardwood floors were installed earlier when it was very dry and the conditions were good for hardwood installation. Now it is time to sand and finish the floors and with all this rain we have been having, cool temperatures, windows open during the day for the subs, a crawl space with no cross ventilation, the house is very humid (73% according to my newly installed thermostat). It will be a couple of weeks before we have temporary power to run the hvac system.

I have a dehumidifier running continuously in the house and draining in the sink. Should I put another dehumidifier in the crawl space or set up box fans at the two crawl space doors to help the moisture exit the house?

The guys that are finishing the floors measured the floors in the house at a moisture level of 10-12 and the subfloor at 16. Way too damp to finish the floors.... And I don't want to rush them. I would rather wait for the conditions to be right and be happy with the finished floors forever.

Thanks for any recommendations you may have!

Comments (4)