Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emilynewhome

roof decking material?

emilynewhome
15 years ago

My builder wants to use 'oriented strand board' for the roof decking. He says it's superior to plywood due to the marine glue used and interlocking strands.We are using OSB on the walls.

My online research recommends plywood as it is smoother and gives a better base for shingle layment. He also does not want to use 'ice and water shield' underlayment but 'permafelt' instead, claiming it's better.

Is he just trying to save a few dollars (fixed price contract) or is he conscientious about building a quality roof? We're building in SW Louisiana. Thanks.

Comments (8)

• jasonmi7
    15 years ago

I don't mean to question your research, but after years in construction, in similar-priced panels, I'd always use OSB over plywood in almost all applications.

I'm not sure what permafelt is. Let me check with ABC.

• emilynewhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is one of the sites;

http://www.pathnet.org/sp.asp?id=17336

"Roof Decking
    Warranties on shingles are extended to both OSB and plywood, but some manufactures feel more comfortable with plywood because of the 'roof ridges' that can occur if OSB edges swell. OSB must be protected from rain".

• buzzsaw
    15 years ago

Implying plywood edges do not swell if wet???!!!

• worthy
    15 years ago

I don't know about practice in the sportsman's paradise. Here OSB is legal, but I've only seen it in the most budget conscious renos. Uncovered, OSB will absorb water, swell and deteriorate much more quickly than plywood.

Ice shield is designed to protect your sheathing when ice dams back up from frozen eavestroughs. I'm not sure how much ice you get in the Deep South.

• emilynewhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for your much appreciated opinions.

• jasonmi7
    15 years ago

Worthy; total bunk. Yes, two decades ago, OSB had some issues, but the product has continuously improved, as plywood panels have continuously degraded. The APA, in that two decade span, has continually demanded better glues, less swelling, and more rigid engineering tests, while becoming more and more lenient on plywood panels; larger voids are allowed, as well as 'filler' plys of cheaper wood.

Sorry; but I'll voice my opinion again; in similarily priced panels, I'd generally take OSB; and, given the choice, I'd take Advancetech OSB over any type of plywood I can think of. Remember; not all plywood is the same, and neither is all OSB. To make blanket statements that OSB or plywood are better or worse does a disservice to finding the right product for the right application.

• robin0919
    15 years ago

They ONLY use OSB in my area, Charlotte, NC, for all sheathing and roofs for housing from 150 to 3 mil or more! The ONLY time I see plywood used is for commercial....so the GC can basically charge more for an inferior product!!!......:(

• dogmommyof3
    15 years ago

We used techshield for our roof decking in SC. It is suppose to save 17% on your energy bills. We will be moving into our new home in about 5 weeks and are eager to see the cooling bill difference. The cost is about $2 more a sheet than regular OSB. Techshield is OSB with aluminum for a radiant barrier. Check out thier site.

http://www.lpcorp.com/radiantbarrier/radiantbarrier.aspx

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!