Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
talldude_gw

Farmhouse Plan

talldude
9 years ago

Has anyone used the ValleyView Farmhouse plan from New South Classics?

Comments (11)

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

I just looked at it briefly, but I really like it a lot.

Here is a link that might be useful: House plan

• lmccarly
    9 years ago

I've seen the plan before and like a lot about it.

The thing that turned me off was the traffic flow. I don't like the flow through the dining room from the foyer or through the kitchen from the garage.

• jdez
    9 years ago

Very nice plan. Would love to see pics of a finished one.

• runnergirl79
    9 years ago

I agree with Imccarly - the flow through the front door is strange. Also, do you have to go outside to access the screened porch?

Otherwise, it's beautiful!

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

How do you get to the screened porch? Only by going outside?

What if they moved the laundry and made it a mud room...with a pantry in the previous location. There is already a door from the front porch...so why not have direct access to the screened porch and the side yard? The stairs could be off the mudroom and a nice garden area on one side of the porch!

Oh, and that main path between the sink and range might be a problem. Maybe a prep sink by the range or on the island?

Just a few ideas :) {{gwi:1442376}}From Kitchen plans

And if the closet/basement stairs were not needed...maybe a cute entry into the living room by going under the stairs? {{gwi:1442378}}From Stairs, landing, entry, etc.

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Wed, May 28, 14 at 13:44

• talldude
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the responses.

I'm thinking about extending the gable end of the house where the dining room and loft are on the original plan. This would allow for a 3rd bedroom and second bath upstairs. It would also allow for a proper foyer/hallway from the front door to the family room with separation of the dining room from the foyer with a cased opening.

I'm also thinking about changing the entrance into the house from the garage to the middle of the garage rather than on the right side of the garage. I would also get rid of the 2nd front door. I think I can modify the current laundry/hall/pantry space to permit a proper pantry and laundry room.

This would also make the kitchen a little longer. Pushing the back kitchen wall out would also allow for a kitchen island.

The master bath and master closets need work. I think I've figured out how to make the master bath work but I'm still stuck on how to make 2 larger walk in master closets. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• WaterlooStructures12
    9 years ago

Yes I'v seen it ...I think its just okay.

• Michelle
    9 years ago

Lavender lass, your changes to this plan are brilliant!!!

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Yes, LL. very nice.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

• renovator8
    9 years ago

It's a nice plan. If it had circulation separate from the dining room it would not be a farmhouse and it would be a larger footprint.

The kitchen has too many openings and breaks in the counters.

The winder tread at the turn in the stair should be deleted because it saves no space and creates an awkward handrail drop. Just make the space between the runs a half tread larger or smaller and the winder will not be necessary.

The termination of the roof valley just beyond the stair at the false chimney will be need to be carefully detailed to avoid water intrusion.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert